News in 5: Mum’s anger at hit-and-run driver; More cricket drama; Stormy Daniels threatened.

Alannah Davey. Image via Seven News.

1.”How could they keep driving?” Mum’s anger after 10-yo daughter was left unconscious in the middle of the road after a hit-and-run.

An Adelaide mum is furious and begging for answers after her 10-year-old daughter was left unconscious on the side of the road, bleeding and bruised, after being hit by a car – the driver nowhere to be seen.

WATCH: A distraught mum is begging for answers after her daughter, 10, was the victim of a hit-and-run, from Seven News.

Video via Seven News

Alannah Davey, 10, was walking to play in her favourite spot – a park just 20 metres from her home in Mount Barker – when she was hit by a car on Sunday afternoon.

Pedestrians and other drivers stopped to tend to the girl, who was lying alone and unresponsive in the middle of the road.

“I don’t know how someone could do that, how could you hit somebody and not stop?” Alannah’s mother Lisa Davey told Seven News.

“She was unconscious and they just left.”

Three women called an ambulance and waited with the girl. They later told Lisa that a man was at the scene initially and told them Alannah had been “hit by a car”, but left before they could ask for any more information.

Advertisement

“They told me there was another guy there when they stopped and he said, ‘she’s been hit by a car’, but then when police and the ambulance rocked up, he was gone,” Lisa said.

“We don’t know who it was because they were too busy trying to help my daughter.”

Lisa was at home doing housework at the time of the accident, unaware of the terror was unfolding outside her home. Now, she’s begging for anyone with information – or the person responsible – to come forward.

“Do the right thing,” she told Seven News. “Turn yourself in.”

After being rushed to the Women’s and Children’s Hospital, Alannah is now receiving treatment for facial injuries, skull fractures, and a bruised liver.

2. Tributes for 13-year-old with a “beautiful soul” killed when a boat capsized off the NSW South Coast.

Georgia Vizovitis
Georgia Vizovitis. Image via Instagram.

A teenage girl who died after she was trapped under the hull of a boat that capsized on the NSW south coast has been remembered as a "beautiful soul", AAP reports.

Georgia Vizovitis was caught under the 6.3-metre vessel as it overturned during an attempt to cross the Moruya River bar on Saturday morning.

Police believe the 13-year-old from Canberra was trapped underwater for between 20 and 40 minutes.

Friends and family took to social media to pay tribute to the teenager, who is understood to have been the daughter of the skipper.

"RIP beautiful soul, you will be missed by everyone," Natalina Hill posted on Instagram.

"Rest easy beautiful girl! You will forever be in our hearts, heaven has gained an angel," Kristen Garavelos said on Instagram.

"I'm sorry that you didn't get to see what the future would've brought to you," another friend wrote.

"I'm so sorry that you'll never be able to get married or have children I'm so sorry this happened to you, you didn't deserve this. You were too young for all of this too happen, I love you so much."

Three men, aged 46, 29 and 18, and two other 13-year-old children were thrown from the boat when it was hit by waves and rescued a short time later after nearby vessels raised the alarm.

The five survivors were taken to hospital to be treated for hypothermia, while one of the children suffered a foot injury.

Police understand no one in the boat was wearing a life jacket and have stressed that jackets should always be worn when crossing a coastal bar.

3. Trump is expelling 60 Russian diplomats and closing a Russian consulate in response to the 'nerve agent attack' on a former spy in the UK.

Donald Trump
Donald Trump has expelled 60 Russian diplomats. Image via Getty.

President Donald Trump has ordered the expulsion of 60 Russians from the United States and closed the Russian consulate in Seattle in response to a nerve agent attack earlier this month in Britain.

It is the toughest action that Trump has taken against Russia and followed what one of the official called a "reckless attempt" by the Russian government on March 4 to attack former Russian spy Sergei Skripal and his daughter Yulia with a military-grade nerve agent.

The pair were found slumped on a bench in the southern English city of Salisbury and remain critically ill in hospital, AAP reports.

"To the Russian government we say: when you attack our friends, you will face serious consequences," a senior US administration official told reporters on Monday, speaking on condition of anonymity.

Moscow has denied responsibility for the attack and has retaliated against Britain's expulsion of 23 Russians by ordering out the same number of Britons.

The Kremlin said ahead of the US announcement that it would respond in kind.

The attack was the first known offensive use of a nerve toxin in Europe since World War Two, and European Union member states agreed on Friday to take additional measures against Russia.

Germany, France, the Netherlands, Denmark, Poland, Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia announced expulsions of Russians on Monday.

The Seattle consulate on the west coast state of Washington was selected for closure because of its proximity to a US submarine base and to plane-maker Boeing Co, the US officials said.

Trump's order also included 12 Russians described by the US officials as Russian intelligence officers from Russia's mission to the United Nations headquarters in New York and reflects US concerns that Russian intelligence activities have been increasingly aggressive.

The US officials said Russian diplomats have been abusing their diplomatic privileges in the US and across the world.

"They hide behind the veneer of diplomatic immunity while actively engaging in intelligence operations that undermine the country in which they are hosted in a democracy they seek to minimise," an official said.

"With today's action, we are removing a large number of the unacceptably numerous Russian intelligence officers who abide in the United States," the official said.

4. More cricket drama as Candice Warner slams English captain: "I'm glad it's making you laugh".

Candice Warner. Image via Getty.

Candice Warner, the wife of Australian cricketer David Warner, has slammed the captain of the English cricket team after he said he was "laughing" at the abuse she and her husband are copping over her sex life.

It's the latest in a saga that began when Australia first met South Africa at the start of the current four-test series. A tense confrontation between David and South Africa's Quinton de Kock was captured on CCTV footage on March 5. The altercation, David later explained, was because de Kock made disparaging comments regarding Candice and the South African player was later fined.

At the same time, South African fans had been wearing masks to matches, taunting David with the face of his wife's ex-lover Sonny Bill Williams.

The situation was dire enough but, when English captain Michael Vaughan said on social media over the weekend he is "chuckling" at the saga, Candice herself hit back.

"It's making me chuckle the Aussies are making an official complaint about the personal abuse they are receiving," Vaughan tweeted.

Candice responded: "I'm glad it's making you laugh. So you would approve of the same treatment to your wife?"

Vaughan replied "absolutely not" but said the behaviour of the Australian cricket team "on field" might be leading to anger "off field".

Candice re-tweeted his comments calling him and "idiot" who is condoning "abuse towards players' wives".

This comes at the same time David Warner and the Aussie captain Steve Smith have stood down from their positions after a ball tampering scandal.

Smith admitted to using tape covered in debris from the pitch to "change the ball's condition", calling it a "poor choice" and saying he and David "deeply regret our actions".

5."Women have nowhere to run." Anger after workers are denied paid domestic violence leave.

woman at window dark domestic violence abuse
Image via Getty.

The full bench of the Fair Work Commission has ruled that millions of Australian workers will be able to access five days' unpaid domestic violence leave a year, despite a union push for 10 days of paid leave by the Australian Council of Trade Unions.

ACTU secretary Sally McManus said the decision would maintain a system which left women with nowhere to run.

"Millions or workers have been denied their rights today as a result of this broken FWC decision," Ms McManus said in a statement.

"It's completely unacceptable that women have to choose between abuse and protecting their children and keeping their job."

The ruling was made on Monday, with the Fair Work Commission saying unpaid leave would be available for people who couldn't deal with the impact of domestic violence outside their normal hours of work.

The new leave provisions are estimated to be available for 2.3 million workers on modern awards, but the federal government plans to boost that number through legislation.

Workplace Minister Craig Laundy said draft laws would be introduced to parliament to extend the unpaid entitlement to a further six million employees covered by the Fair Work Act.

"We want to ensure a consistent safety net for employees covered by the national workplace system so we will amend the act in line with the final model clause to give other federal system employees access to unpaid leave on the same terms," Mr Laundy said in a statement.

The commission deferred a decision on whether employees should be able to access paid personal or carer's leave for the purpose of taking family and domestic violence leave.

Ai Group chief executive Innes Willox welcomed the "measured" decision, saying employers typically took a compassionate approach to giving time off for domestic violence.

"While different employers have different capacities to provide assistance to employees experiencing domestic violence, most employers are not likely to experience problems with what the commission has decided," Mr Willox said.

Labor promised last year to legislate for 10 days' paid leave if elected.

If you or someone you know is in need of help, please call the National Sexual Assault, Domestic and Family Violence Counselling Service on 1800 RESPECT.

6. Stormy Daniels claims she was threatened in a parking lot with her infant daughter before going public about her affair with Donald Trump.

An adult-film actress who claims she had sex with Donald Trump before he was president says she was threatened in 2011 while in a parking lot with her infant daughter to discourage her from discussing the relationship.

Stormy Daniels, whose real name is Stephanie Clifford, told America's CBS News' 60 Minutes program that she was on her way to a fitness class with her child when an unknown man approached her, according to a transcript of the interview released on Sunday.

"And a guy walked up on me and said to me, 'Leave Trump alone. Forget the story.' And then he leaned around and looked at my daughter and said, 'That's a beautiful little girl. It'd be a shame if something happened to her mum'. And then he was gone," Daniels told reporter Anderson Cooper.

Daniels sued the president on March 6, stating Trump never signed an agreement for her to keep quiet about an "intimate" relationship between them.

White House aides did not immediately respond to requests for comment after the interview aired.

LISTEN: Amelia Lester thinks porn star Stormy Daniels was the one person who could have prevented Trump’s election...Post continues after audio.

Trump did not respond to reporters' shouted questions about whether he would watch the interview when he returned to the White House from Florida on Sunday evening.

Daniels' appearance represents back to back trouble for Trump after an interview broadcast last week on CNN with former Playboy model Karen McDougal, who described a 10-month long affair with Trump starting in 2006.

Trump would have been married to his wife, Melania, during both the alleged extramarital relationships. The first lady accompanied him this weekend to his Florida golf club. A White House spokeswoman said Melania stayed behind as is her custom during their son's school holiday.
Daniels told 60 Minutes that she and Trump had had sexual relations only once, but that she had seen him on other occasions and he had kept in touch with her.

She said she was not attracted to Trump, who was 60, to Daniels' 27, when they met in 2006.

The White House has denied he had an affair with Daniels, although Trump lawyer Michael Cohen said he paid her $US130,000 ($A168,000) of his own money during the 2016 presidential election campaign.

The payment could pose a legal problem. Watchdog groups have filed complaints with the Department of Justice and Federal Election Commission, saying that it may have violated campaign finance law by exceeding the limit on the size of a contribution.

Cohen, who has denied that there was an affair, has not explained why he made the payment or said whether Trump was aware of it. Cohen did not respond to requests for comment after the interview aired.

Daniels and her lawyer would not discuss in the interview whether they had text messages or other materials that might verify her story.

She was asked why she repeatedly signed statements denying the relationship with Trump, and acknowledged that there could be questions about her credibility.

"I felt intimidated and ... honestly bullied. And I didn't know what to do. And so I signed it," Daniels said.

Asked why viewers could be confident now that she was telling the truth, she said, "Cause I have no reason to lie. I'm opening myself up for, you know, possible danger, and definitely a whole lot of s***," she said.

JOIN THE CONVERSATION