1. Gerard Baden-Clay ‘not coping’ in prison.
Gerard Baden-Clay, who murdered his wife Allison in 2012, has broken down in tears in prison with reports “he is not coping.”
Seven News reports that Baden-Clay was working in the metal shop at Wolston Correctional Centre, when he broke down “sobbing uncontrollably”. Baden-Clay told prison staff his murder conviction is finally dawning on him and he is not coping with his life sentence.
The 46-year-old had to be assisted back to his cell as he claimed to be overwhelmed with the realisation of his reality.
Baden-Clay’s murder conviction was re-instated on August 31 after the High Court found the decision to downgrade the charge “was not based on evidence”.
He had been initially convicted of his wife’s 2012 murder by a jury but the conviction was downgraded to manslaughter when Queensland’s Court of Appeal judges found he may have accidentally killed her during an argument.
The Courier-Mail reports that the 46-year-old former real estate agent still wore his wedding ring, and was said to have several photos of Allison and him on his cell wall, including a wedding picture of the couple.
2. Girl, 6, trapped between two cars after woman six times over limit crashed in car park.
A woman, who was six times over the legal limit crushed a six-year-old girl as she tried to reverse park her car, then tried to leave the scene, police allege.
Barbara Farlow, 50, had been drinking at an RSL when she then tried to park her car in a space on Progress Ave, Eastwood in Sydney reports The Daily Telegraph.
A little girl helping her family pack groceries into the car was crushed when Farlow misjudged the spot and was pinned between two cars.
Police alleged Farlow then tried to drive her station wagon away and when the car would not go tried to flee on foot.
The six-year-old suffered pelvic injuries but was in a stable condition last night.
3. Queensland Play centre under scrutiny for lack of supervision after 3-year-old’s death.
The play centre where a three-year-old boy died on Sunday has been critisised for a lack of supervision.
Hunter Young, 3, was being cared for by his grandparents when he was found unresponsive at the “Inflatable World” play centre on Sunday.
Witnesses told Seven News that Hunter was playing unsupervised at the time, with members of the public providing first aid until an ambulance arrived.
A mother who is suing the centre after her 10-year-old broke his leg has called for Inflatable World to be shut down.
Renee Williamson told The Courier Mail her son Kieran Seaton, had only recently had plates removed from his leg after badly breaking it in November last year.
She has accused the centre of failing to maintain a safe premises, warn about risks, train her son and employ competent staff.
A post-mortem examination will reportedly be carried out in Brisbane today on Hunter.
Detective have called on anyone who may have information about the incident to contact them saying they are still investigating what occurred.
5. Malaysia to decide on charges for 9 Australians who stripped down at Grand Prix.
Malaysian prosecutors are soon to decide whether to charge nine Australians for stripping down to budgie smugglers at the Grand Prix.
The men were arrested after they allegedly drunkenly displayed their Malaysian flag cossies in celebration of Australian Daniel Ricciardo’s win in Sepang on Sunday.
As the families of the men arrived in the country the deputy head of Selangor district police, Superintendent Rusdi Mohd Isa, told AAP they had not yet decided whether to charge them and would hold a meeting today.
Foreign Minister Julie Bishop told the Nine Network she did not know if the group’s actions would just be seen as a ‘lapse of judgment’.
“It was clearly premeditated. They were wearing the budgie smugglers and had bought them in Australia.”
Meanwhile Formula One star Daniel Ricciardo has told News Limited he believes the men have learnt their lesson and should be freed.
5. Case against Sydney girl’s school Ravenswood dismissed.
A family who sued Sydney’s exclusive Ravenswood school for expelling their daughter has had their case dismissed.
Ravenswood School for Girls was taken to the NSW Supreme Court by the girl’s family after she was expelled for alleged bullying last year.
The case came to prominence after the girl’s sister used a leaving speech last year to criticise the exclusive Roseville school for its actions.
In a letter sent to parents and staff on Wednesday, Ravenswood council chair Mark Webb said the case had been settled out of court reports The Daily Telegraph.
The expulsion stands but the school says some claims made against the girl in media reports were wrong.
The letter reads, “The school acknowledges allegations reported in the media about (parent’s) daughter … are false and unfounded.”
The family’s case was dismissed by Justice Philip Hallen.
Mr Webb said in the letter that “the parties have agreed not to make any further comment”.
6. Aussie doctors approached by girls as young as 10 seeking female genital surgery for cosmetic reasons.
A survey has shown that one third of Australian doctors have been approached by girls as young as 10 seeking female genital surgery for cosmetic reasons.
Reported by News Limited the survey of 443 GPs found 35 per cent of patients under 18 years of age.
Researchers from the University of Melbourne and Monash University revealed around half of the doctors surveyed don’t support non-medical procedures on girls under 18.
Most GPs surveyed saw one to 10 patients a year wanting female genital surgery for cosmetic reasons.
“This is very much a modern phenomenon and a new dilemma for GPs,” lead researcher Dr Magdalena Simonis said.
“More than half the GPs suspected psychological disturbances in their patients requesting female genital cosmetic surgery such as depression, anxiety, relationship difficulties and body dysmorphic disorder.
“So it’s more than just a desire to look normal”.
7. Hillary Clinton: Trump takes the issue of female body image “to a new level of difficulty and meanness.”
“We can't take any of this seriously any more. We need to laugh at it. We need to refute it.” - Hillary Clinton
Hillary Clinton has slammed Donald Trump for his comments about women saying he takes the issue of female body image “to a new level of difficulty and meanness”.
“It's shocking when women are called names and judged solely on the basis of physical attributes,” Clinton said at an event in Philadelphia in response to a 15-year-old girl's question about body image.
“My opponent insulted Miss Universe,” Clinton said. “I mean, how do you get more acclaimed than that? But it wasn't good enough."
“We can't take any of this seriously any more. We need to laugh at it. We need to refute it.”
Do you have a story to share with Mamamia? Email us [email protected]