More than a dozen injured in gas explosion in Sydney’s Chinatown

More than a dozen people including two children have been injured in a gas explosion in Sydney’s Chinatown area.

Fire authorities said the explosion happened in the loading dock of a food court in Sussex Street in Haymarket at around 7.30pm.

Fire superintendent Paul Johnston said 200 people were evacuated from the building.

He said the sprinkler system kicked in and the fire that was initially sparked did not spread.

“The explosion blew out the roller shutter door and that injured people in the immediate vicinity,” he said.

“Now 12 adults and two children were injured and injuries were consistent with lacerations, and they’ve been treated by ambulance personnel on scene.

“To date four people have been transported to hospital.”

Advertisement

More to come.

This post originally appeared on ABC News.


© 2016 Australian Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved. Read the ABC Disclaimer here

JOIN THE CONVERSATION
FROM OUR NETWORK