Usually a bunch flowers will fill the void when you’re not sure what to say — or when words aren’t enough.
They can be used to convey happiness, sadness, sympathy, an apology, support or congratulations.
Mostly, they’ll come with a card or short handwritten note to let you know who they’re from and what they’re for.
A group of florists have taken to Reddit to share the most heartbreaking messages they’ve ever had to write and, just a warning, you might want to grab the nearest box of tissues.
1. “A man paid for flowers to be left at his wife’s graveside once a month. Always wrote ‘I love and miss you’ on it. Not the saddest thing to write, but just the idea of it. He always called to make sure we didn’t forget, too.”
2. “‘Only here for a day, however his memory will live forever.’ This was for someone’s baby who lived for nine hours after birth before passing away.”
3. ‘Sorry I ruined your life,’ from a man to his ex-lover.
The Mamamia team share their most crushing rejections (post continues after video):
4. One florist recalled their worst day at work after a 7 or 8-year-old girl died:
“The neighbourhood she lived in was right across the street from my shop, and one day before the funeral all the little girl’s friends came in with their parents to pick things out for the funeral.
“It was heart wrenching with each of these little girls and boys choosing flowers and saying what they wanted on the card. I’ll never forget it.”
5. This one didn’t come from a florist, but it still gave us some feels:
“I once had flowers delivered to my office and the card said, ‘I know I will never see you again but I wanted to thank you for changing my life’.”