news

The moment New Year's Eve fireworks went horribly wrong.

It’s the stuff of New Year nightmares: covering your ears, watching the fireworks, and realising… those explosions aren’t a part of the show.

This is what happened last night on the NSW Central Coast when a fireworks barge exploded, injuring two pyrotechnicians and forcing thousands of beachgoers to evacuate, News Corp reports.

Just minutes after the 9pm fireworks display began at Terrigal beach on Sunday, the barge holding them just off shore caught fire.

Two pyrotechnicians jumped off the barge and into the water. Both were treated at the scene by paramedics for minor injuries.

Onlookers were quick to evacuate the beach, with videos showing people running in panic as the barge blaze grew.

ADVERTISEMENT

According to AAP, an exclusion zone remains in place around the beach and emergency services are planning to let the barge float to shore before extinguishing any remaining fire.

Luckily, no one was seriously hurt.

The year that was women in sport.

FROM OUR NETWORK
00:00 / ???