Police are searching for the older brother of David Dick, the man who was brutally killed in the car park of a Melbourne shopping centre last week.
The 36-year-old was killed at the Westfield Doncaster shopping centre on Friday, with his attacker leaving a bloody trail away from the crime scene.
A fitness group found the victim injured near a lift lobby just after 6:00am and called triple-0.
Police have previously said they believed the attack was targeted, and yesterday released footage of a man in the same area the day before the killing.
Homicide squad detectives have now issued an appeal for the victim’s 39-year-old brother, Jonathan Dick, to come forward.
“Investigators believe Jonathan may be able to assist with their enquiries and urge him to hand himself in,” Acting Sergeant Melissa Seach said in a statement.
Homicide Squad Detective Inspector Mick Hughes said Jonathan had been reported missing and police were concerned his safety as it may “be an overwhelming situation to him”.
“We’re saying don’t do anything to hurt yourself, just remember you still have a family here regardless of the circumstance you may find yourself in.”
He said Jonathan had recently been diagnosed with a medical condition and had chosen not to take medication.
Detective Inspector Hughes said Jonathan, from Seymour in central Victoria, could be headed for New South Wales or Queensland
“He lost his dad about six months ago, [his] dad used to live in Queensland so it wasn’t unusual for Jonathan to jump in his car and drive up and see his dad and not contact anyone,” he said.
He could be driving one of two vehicles – a 1997 blue Ford Fairmont sedan with registration ONV-954, or a white 2002 Ford Falcon station wagon with registration RIL-435, police said.
“We’re concerned for the public safety only from the point of view we ask them not to approach Jonathan,” Detective Inspector Hughes said.
“There’s no suggestion he’d been aggressive to anyone else and we still don’t know the motive for this attack.”