Craig McLachlan no longer starring in Rocky Horror Show after assault allegations surface.

Video by Channel 9

Actor Craig McLachlan has withdrawn from the current production of the Rocky Horror Show in Adelaide after being accused of sexually inappropriate behaviour and bullying by a number of former female colleagues.

The show’s producers, the Gordon Frost Organisation, say they have spoken with McLachlan and have agreed that it is not appropriate for him to continue in the current production.

“We will be conducting a full internal investigation and will cooperate fully with authorities,” GFO said in a statement on Monday.

The producers of the popular television series The Doctor Blake Mysteries, which stars McLachlan, will also hold production on a new series to allow “due process”.

Image: Getty.

Three cast members from a 2014 performance of the Rocky Horror Show have told a Fairfax Media/ABC investigation that McLachlan inappropriately touched them or exposed himself.

Victoria Police have confirmed they're investigating allegations of sexually inappropriate behaviour by the 52-year-old.

GFO said it was shocked to learn of the allegations against McLachlan and took them very seriously.

Advertisement

"While we clearly cannot comment on the details of this particular case, sexual assault in any form is unacceptable," it said.

McLachlan has described the allegations by actresses Erika Heynatz, Christie Whelan Browne and Angela Scundi as "baseless" and "all made up".

"They seem to be simple inventions, perhaps made for financial reasons, perhaps to gain notoriety," he was quoted as writing.

Listen: Tracey Spicer joins Holly Wainwright and Rachel Corbett to deep dive on why the #metoo movement has kick-started a new way of thinking worldwide. Post continues below. 

Whelan Browne said during Rocky Horror in 2014, McLachlan, who played transvestite Frank N Furter to her character Janet, indecently assaulted her on stage during a sex scene.

While Scundi said McLachlan kissed her passionately onstage even after she had asked that it not be done.

She said when she confronted him about the unwanted kiss, he abused and threatened her.

"I said, 'Don't you kiss me. Don't you do that ever again and he turned. I haven't felt that terrified ever in my life, or ever again," she told the ABC.

"He was just a different person. He said, 'You are nothing. Don't you dare talk to me like that. I will end you.' And in that moment, I believed him."

GFO said it was not aware of any details of the allegations until they were published in the media, although it received correspondence from a law firm before Christmas.

"We can also confirm that our records show the claimants at no time made any complaint - formal or informal - to the company manager or executive producer of The Rocky Horror Show in 2014," the company said.

"Furthermore no one at GFO recalls any verbal discussion of this nature. It would be distressing to us if anyone within our company was dismissive of sexual assault allegations, and this will form a part of our internal investigation."

December Media, which produces The Doctor Blake Mysteries, said it was confident there had been no incidents of inappropriate behaviour involving the cast or crew.

"Throughout the six years of production of Doctor Blake, it has not only been an enormously popular show on air but popular with cast and crew who come back to work on the series year after year," the company said.

"Craig has been central to this success both in front of camera and on set."

McLachlan's withdrawal will not affect the current production of the Rocky Horror Show which is scheduled to run in Adelaide until Sunday and then move to Brisbane, Perth and Melbourne.

JOIN THE CONVERSATION