Australia’s death toll increases by 3 on Easter Sunday.
Australia’s death toll has risen to 59 after three new people died after testing positive to COVID-19 on Easter Sunday.
A woman in her 70s succumbed to the virus at North West Regional Hospital in Tasmania, Premier Peter Gutwein confirmed on Sunday.
In NSW, an 82-year-old man died at the Royal Prince Alfred Hospital overnight, with NSW Health acting director Dr Christine Selvey telling reporters on Sunday the man was in contact with a confirmed COVID-19 case.
A South Australian man has also died from COVID-19 after contracting the virus on the Ruby Princess cruise ship. The 74-year-old man succumbed to the infection in the Royal Adelaide Hospital overnight, SA Health confirmed on Sunday.
The national death toll now stands at 59, with the number of confirmed cases in Australia at 6,303. This morning there were 51 more cases than yesterday, the Australian Government states.
More than a dozen Ruby Princess passengers have died from the virus, and more than 500 people have been infected, either onboard or from contact with people who were.
Victoria extends state of emergency to May 11.
Victoria’s state of emergency has been extended for a further four weeks, as a plane carrying more than 100 stranded cruise ship passengers infected with COVID-19 touched down in the state.
The flight from Uruguay landed at Melbourne Airport just before 7am on Sunday, carrying about 112 Australian and New Zealand passengers from the Greg Mortimer cruise ship.
The ship had been stranded in the South American nation for more than two weeks, after leaving Argentina on March 15 for a 16-day return trip to Antarctica.
About 70 per cent of passengers on board the flight have been diagnosed with coronavirus, though only one was taken to hospital for treatment, the state’s deputy chief health officer confirmed.
Mr Andrews announced Victoria’s state of emergency will be extended until midnight on May 11, with measures designed to “flatten the curve” of coronavirus likely to remain in place well past that date.
With just three new cases of coronavirus recorded on Sunday, the premier said restrictions were working.
“We are aggressively tracing our outbreaks, and making sure this virus does not get away from us,” he said.
“If it does, our health system will simply be overrun and people will die.”