We are all trying to do our best, and be the best mothers we can be. But sometimes, it’s just about getting to the end of the day alive – right?!
Here are some of my not-so-perfect mum confessions… I’m sure you can secretly relate to a few! (Or I’m just a really crappy mum).
- I didn’t take my daughter to her swimming lesson because it was cold and I didn’t want to get in the pool myself.
- I smelt poo, but I waited till my husband noticed it so I didn’t have to change it.
- Sometimes I fantasise about getting in my car and running away, or at least going to get McNuggets.
- I feed the baby packet puree because I didn’t have time/couldn’t be bothered making it.
- I give my toddler Phenergan on the plane so they sleep the whole flight.
- I leave the house with spew on my shoulders because I figure it’s just going to get spewed on again anyway.
- I accidentally clipped my baby's finger when cutting her nails and made it bleed (I was pretty upset about this one).
- I told my daughter her annoying phone toy was broken when really I just removed the batteries.
- I force the kids to take a nap at midday so I can watch Ellen in peace.
- I fed my kids baked beans for dinner because there was nothing ‘easy’ in the house to cook.
- Instead of a bath, sometimes I just wipe the kids down with a baby wipe.
- I skip pages in the book when reading to my kids at bedtime.
- I use my kids to get out of social engagements all the time. “Sorry babe, the baby's really sick so were gonna stay home.”
- I claim my forgetfulness is because I had a shit night sleep, but really my kids slept through, I just suck at remembering things.
- I put the baby down crying, then walked out the room and shut the door to save my sanity.
- I let my toddler eat from the bag of grapes while we’re shopping just to keep her quiet.
- I dropped my daughter off at daycare without breakfast because I was late for work and I knew they would feed her.
- I ask my mother-in-law to ‘watch the kids for an hour’ but then come back in three.
- When I pull up in the driveway I sit in the car with the kids strapped so I can check my phone/make phone calls.
- I have a ‘wine allowance’ in our weekly shopping budget.
What are your mum confessions?
Olivia is motherhood and lifestyle blogger from Melbourne, Australia. Olivia is a mum to toddler (Annabelle), new baby (Theodora) and wife to Jeremy.
Olivia and her daughter Teddy Mae. Image: Instagram
Olivia blogs a fun, honest and relatable perspective on motherhood, sharing her journey via her social media platforms and blog.
All images from Olivia's Instagram account.