Children smile up to four hundred times a day; in comparison, adults will only smile an average of twenty times. I read this fact not long ago, and thought surely not – but a daily observation of my children proved it to be so. Something as simple as a lolly, a favourite game, for no apparent reason at all – everything seems to make them smile. We all used to clock up as many smiles as them, but somewhere along the way, life gives in to chaos – mortgages, careers, parenting responsibilities – and we no longer have times to notice the roses, let alone stop to smell them.
In an attempt to get your daily smile count up, here’s a whole garden of them.
1. This child who already knows to fake it ‘till you make it.
Whether it be starting a new job, or facing a question about ‘the birds and bees’ from an inquisitive child, let us all hope we can muster as much confidence under pressure as this adorable little boy.
Click here to learn from the best.
2. These dad jokes so lame you’ll hate yourself for laughing.
‘Two guys walk into a bar, the third ducks.’
‘Did you hear about the guy who invented Lifesavers? They say he made a mint.’
‘A ham sandwich walks into a bar and orders a beer. Bartender says, ‘Sorry we don’t serve food here.’
‘Whenever the cashier at the grocery store asks my dad if he would like the milk in a bag he replies, ‘No, just leave it in the carton!’’
Click here for the original compilation of groan-worthy dad jokes.
3. The pebble and the penguin.
You might already know that penguins mate for life. What is lesser known is their way of ‘engagement’ is not all that dissimilar from ours. Not just an animated film from the 90s, penguins will actually ‘propose’ to their intended partner with a specially-selected pebble.
4. The innocence of babes.
Mum and dad are trying to teach a valuable safety lesson – but it’s hard to concentrate when ice cream and sweets are mentioned. Try not to smile at this little girl’s enthusiasm.
Click here for your daily dosage of sweetness.
5. Even mama pandas can’t eat in peace.
The panda video to end all panda videos. You won’t believe that such a loud sneeze comes from such a little animal – mama panda certainly doesn’t!
Click through to video here.
6. These portraits of babies trying lemons for the first time.
Is there anything sweeter than these photographs of babies trying tart lemons for the first time? Hot on the heels of the trend to video-tape babies trying their first lemon, photographers April Maciborka and David Wile created this funny series of photographs.
7. From the mouths of babes.
A group of children were asked for their best advice. Here’s what some of them said.
- Never trust a dog to watch your food. - Patrick, age 10.
- Never tell your mum her diet's not working. - Michael, age 14.
- Don't pull dad's finger when he tells you to. - Emily, age 10.
- When your mum is mad at your dad, don't let her brush your hair. - Taylia, age 11.
- Never allow your three-year-old brother in the same room as your school assignment. - Traci, age 14.
- Never hold a dust buster and a cat at the same time. - Kyoyo, age 9.
- Felt markers are not good to use as lipstick. - Lauren, age 9.
- Don't pick on your sister when she's holding a baseball bat. - Joel, age 10.
- When you get a bad grade in school, show it to your mum when she's on the phone. - Alyesha, age 13.
- Never try to baptize a cat. - Eileen, age 8.
You can find the original list here.
8. Lastly, if nothing else works, this will.
Because laughter is contagious.
Click through to video here to catch the bug.
What gets you grinning?