1. Charlie Hebdo attack
A major man hunt is under way in Paris after two masked gunmen walked into the offices of one of France’s most historical satirical magazines, Charlie Hebdo during an editorial meeting and executed 12 people, critically injured 5 more and fled.
It is being called the worst terrorist attack in France in 50 years.
Two police officers are among the dead.
The men then escaped with another man in a black car. The security level in France has been raised to its highest level.
Amateur video shot after attack has shown two men dressed head-to-toe in black leave the building and shoot a wounded policeman in a brutal execution as he lay on the pavement.
- Paris is in lockdown as 3000 officers search for the three gunmen and the driver of the car. For more on this go here.
- One magazine staff member says she hid under the desk with her daughter who she had just picked up from daycare as her colleagues were executed around her. For more go here.
- In a video which has been uploaded to social media the brutal execution of a police officer is clearly seen. The officer holds up an open hand immediately before being shot dead. For more go here.
- What is Charlie Hebdo? For more go here.
- The victims: Four cartoonists have been identified and the editor-in chief. For more go here.
- The French President said there is no doubt this is an act of terrorism.For more go here.
- Muslims around the world have condemned the actions of these men. For more go here.
- Prime Minister Abbott and other world leaders have condemned the shootings. For more go here.
- Crowds gather as Paris mourns. For more go here.
2. Bali 9 Myuran Sukumaran’s to face firing squad
News Limited report that Myuran Sukumaran – one of the “Bali 9” has lost his final bid for Presidential clemency and may now face the firing squad.
News Limited says that sources have confirmed that Myuran Sukumaran’s clemency plea has been rejected.
3. 11-year old boy nearly drowns while his parents at the pub
A schoolboy aged just 11 has nearly drowned and had to be rescued by surf lifesavers while his parents drank at the pub. The Courier Mail reports that Greenmount lifesavers on the southern Gold Coast had to rescue the boy on Sunday afternoon.
“He was struggling, going under and he was swallowing a lot of water,” said the 47-year-old lifesaver. “I got on my board and took him back to shore where we sat him down for half an hour.”
The lifesaver told The Courier Mail that when he asked the boy where his parents where he told them he was alone with his 12-year-old brother while his parents were at the pub.
Gold Coast duty officer Peter Anderson said it was not usual for parents to drop their kids off at the beach. “We’re seeing young children in the water and their parents are expecting us to keep an eye on them,” he said.
4. 20kg cannabis found dumped
Up to 20kg of cannabis has been found dumped in bins in Sydney’s north-east. Other “rubbish” included components for a hydroponic growing system; a number of items have been taken for forensic examination.
Police are urging anyone with information in relation to this incident to call Crimestoppers on 1800 333 000
5. Founding fathers time capsule gives a glimpse of the United States of 1795
By ABC A time capsule originally placed under a cornerstone of Boston’s Massachusetts State House in 1795 by Samuel Adams and Paul Revere has been opened at the city’s Museum of Fine Arts. Dubbed the oldest time capsule in America, it was last unearthed in 1855 when its contents were documented and cleaned.