news

Sunday's news in under five minutes.

We’ve rounded up all the latest stories from Australia and around the world – so you don’t have to go searching.

1. Twelve children left behind after three women killed in a car crash. 

A police chase in western Sydney has ended in the deaths of three women, Roza Mawen, Bianca Goak and Adut Garang, all aged in their 30s.

According to the Sydney Morning Herald, Mawen was a mother to four children and Goak, who lived in Melbourne, had five girls and three boys.

The women were involved in the chase after the driver of the vehicle failed to stop at a random breath testing and was subsequently pursued by police. It ended when the car veered off the road, crashed in a power pole, flipping it on to its roof, and throwing one of the women onto the footpath.

A daughter to one of the women who died int he crash wrote on her Facebook about her utter devestation.

“This can’t be true not my mum noo,” she wrote. “Can’t believe she’s actually gone why did you leave me alone.

“What is life now without you. Your the best mum ever I know you been through a lot I wasn’t easy on you but now your resting. An ill always love you mummy.”

Another daughter also wrote on Facebook, “While I was out doing god knows what last night, the most beautiful person I have ever known was taking her last breath. I’m so sorry for everything mum, God knows you’ve had it rough. Now you get to rest. I love you, rest easy.”

A leader in the local Sudanese community, Tresa Diing, has expressed her confusion as to why her nephew, who was driving the vehicle, didn’t stop at the RBT. She said the women and their families had fled to Australia from their country to escape from war and live a better life.

Police involved in the event said that it was within seconds that the crash occurred.

“The car, we would say, sped away and within a matter of seconds collided with a power pole,” said Assistant Commissioner Dennis Clifford,” and now we have three females who are deceased.

“There’s a lot of people that will be very affected by what occurred tonight. A lot of lives will be changed forever.”

2. Archbishop calls for independent inquiry to support Cardinal Pell. 

Dennis Hart, Archbishop of Melbourne, has called for an independent investigation following details of alleged abuse by Cardinal George Pell were leaked.

The Herald Sun released information that Victoria Police were conducting investigations in alleged abuse committed by Pell. The Archbishop is now demanding for an independent body to find out who leaked details about the investigation to media.

ADVERTISEMENT

“It is very disturbing and concerning to read reports based on leads to the media,” Hart said.

george pell child abuse
George Pell. Image via Getty.

“The allegations do not reflect the man I have know for more than 50 years. Cardinal Pell has unequivocally rejected the allegations as without foundation and utterly false and strongly denied any wrongdoing.”

Hart justifies that leaks to the media jeopardise Pell’s right to a fair and unbiased trial.

“In this environment, it is the responsibility of the royal commission to provide a fair and balanced forum for all who appear before it.

“The leaking of the allegations undermines the criminal justice system…Cardinal Pell, like all Australian citizens, is entitled to have these principles apply to him.”

3. Emergency workers call lock-out laws “effective”.

Last Drinks, a coalition of unions representing NSW doctors, nurses, paramedics and police officers, have come out in support of the state’s lock out laws.

A spokesperson for the group, Dr Tony Sara, noted that there had been a decrease in assaults across Kings Cross by 32% since March 2014, when the laws were introduced.

“[That is] a statistic too great to ignore. These laws have saved lives,” Dr Sara said.

Dr Sara also hit back at claims that the lock-out laws were detrimental to people having a good time.

lockout laws
Image via iStock.
ADVERTISEMENT

“This is about making sure that people get home safely at the end of the night.

“After man years of alcohol-related violence ruining our streets, we have finally found a solution that works to keep people safe.

“To reverse that would be a travesty and would put innocent lives at risk.”

On the other hand, data from APRA/AMCOS (the organisation representing Australia musicians) concludes some venues in Sydney have recorded at a drop of up to 40% in door charges. APRA/AMCOS claims this drop has lead to less people paying to see live music in the state.

4. Man sues Australian government after customer officers send text messages from his phone. 

A 22-year-old man has made a claim to the District Court of NSW, alleging he was falsely imprisoned, unlawfully detained, and harassed by Australian Border Force officers.

The writ claims the man was detained at Sydney International Airport for nearly four hours, causing him to miss his flight, but with no reasonable grounds to suspect the man of having committed an offence, or intended to cause an offence.

The allegations made by the man were first reported by Fairfax Media last year, reporting that an officer from Customs – a group now known as Border Force – sent text messages from the man’s phone and then went onto delete them from his data. He claims he was fiercely interrogated about his family, religion, and employment, and was also strip-searched against his will.

being held by customs
Image via iStock.
ADVERTISEMENT

Zali Burrows, the lawyer for the man, raised her deep concerns about the conduct of the officers.

“It is the unknown mischief of the text that is most concerning,” Burrows said.

“My client was upset with the way he was treated, they searched his bag, they went through his flight and the next day when he returned to the airport, it was Groundhog Day all over again.”

A spokesperson for the Department of Immigration and Border Protection said the event caused a formal investigation.

“The officer was subject to a formal investigation and was found to have breached the APS Code of Conduct. The officer was disciplined in accordance with the Public Service Act 1999.

“As this matter is currently before the court, it is not appropriate for the department to provide any further information other than what has been released through FOI.”

5. Exits blocked at hospital to prevent Baby Asha being transferred. 

Defiant protesters have blocked the exits of Lady Cilento Children’s Hospital in Brisbane to prevent the transfer of Baby Asha to Naura.

A spokesperson for the Immigration Minister Peter Dutton has stated that the Department is still in negotiations with the hospital about the relocation of Asha, however, refugee advocates allege the girl’s mother was informed their transfer would occur soon.

Baby Asha was being treated for injuries caused by boiling water being accidentally spilled on her in Naura, in January. However, doctors have refused to discharge the one-year-old until they can be sure she is going back to a safe home environment.

Hundreds of protesters have come together outside the hospital over past few days to advocate for Baby Asha and further stand up against the harmful detainment of children on Naura.

Do you have a news tip? We’d love to hear it. E-mail us at: [email protected]

FROM OUR NETWORK
00:00 / ???