news

Details of the Canadian killing spree that claimed the lives of Lucas Fowler and Chynna Deese are soon to be released, & more in news in 5.

– With AAP.

1. Details of the Canadian killing spree that claimed the lives of Lucas Fowler and Chynna Deese are soon to be released.

The mystery of why two teenage friends went on a bloodthirsty, random killing spree in northern Canada that claimed the lives of Australian tourist Lucas Fowler, his US girlfriend and a university lecturer may soon be revealed.

The Royal Canadian Mounted Police will hold a briefing on Friday (Saturday AEST 6am) to release findings of the tragic case.

Kam McLeod, 18, and Bryer Schmegelsky, 19, are suspected of shooting dead Mr Fowler and girlfriend Chynna Deese on July 15 after finding the couple and their broken-down van on the side of an isolated highway in northern British Columbia.

Mr Fowler, 23, from Sydney, and Ms Deese, 24, from North Carolina, fell in love after meeting in Croatia on a backpacking trip and were on a Canadian road trip.

McLeod and Schmegelsky were accused of murdering 64-year-old University of British Columbia botany lecturer Leonard Dyck four days later, stealing Mr Dyck’s Toyota RAV4, setting their own Dodge pick-up truck on fire and sparking a nationwide manhunt.

The teenagers were found dead on August 7 in bushland more than 3000km east near the northern, desolate Manitoba town of Gillam.

They are believed to have taken their own lives and filmed a “last will and testament” video message on one of their phones.

McLeod and Schmegelsky were best friends since primary school.

After graduating high school earlier this year, they got jobs together at Walmart, but the money was not great so after just five weeks they told family they were going to find better wages in Alberta.

The duo had a very limited presence on social media.

canadian murders
Image: Instagram.
ADVERTISEMENT

An Instagram profile under Schmegelsky's name had one post of the teen from June 9. Its profile photo is a photo of him with his arm slung around McLeod.

A Facebook profile under his name included an image shared in 2015 that read: "Guns don't kill people. It's mostly the bullets."

The Globe and Mail reported that both teens were linked to a Facebook and YouTube page called Illusive Gameing (sic). Mamamia has not been able to verify these accounts, which have since been deleted.

The Globe reported that there were similarly named accounts on the video game streaming platform Twitch and digital games marketplace Steam, and they all shared similar imagery and themes, including the Communist icon, far-right politics, sexualised Japanese anime and the survivalist video game Rust.

A user who claimed to have met Schmegelsky on the gaming site Steam, who spoke to CBC News on the condition of anonymity, said that the 18-year-old was fascinated by Nazi history and last year sent him photos of his Nazi regalia.

However, Alan Schmegelsky told CBC News that his son was not a neo-Nazi.

"He thought he was Russian. Germans are their enemies," he said.

But he recalled that his son took him to an Army Surplus store eight months ago and that he was excited about the Nazi items there.

"I was disgusted and dragged him out," Schmegelsky told Canadian Press. "My grandparents fled the Ukraine with three small children during the Second World War."

Lisa Lucas, the mother of one of Schmegelsky's former friends, recalled how he and her son would play video games together.

As years went by, however, her son became worried and began distancing himself from Schmegelsky.

"He just gave off a weird kind of a vibe, like he just made him feel uncomfortable," Lucas said.

"[Her son] remembers seeing it on one of his social media, the Nazi symbol.

"Everybody in this community just hopes there’s a misunderstanding.”

McLeod’s friend Branden McHale told CBC McLeod was a happy person who loved video games, like League of Legends, and was "really funny".

The RCMP has suppressed most details of the case, including what was on the video message or if other notes or clues were left behind to explain why two teenagers who just weeks earlier were working at a Vancouver Island Wal-Mart suddenly became killers.

ADVERTISEMENT

The RCMP will brief reporters and then hold a press conference on Saturday morning.

2. Charlie Teo's daughter shunned police interview after car crash with former bikie boss.

The daughter of renowned neurosurgeon Charlie Teo allegedly drove at least 100 metres on the wrong side of the road before crashing into former bikie boss Jock Ross and leaving him fighting for life.

Nicole Teo was allegedly driving a Toyota Landcruiser with a child in the passenger's seat when it collided head-on with Mr Ross's motorcycle in the Hawkesbury region outside Sydney on Wednesday afternoon.

The former Comancheros hard man, who spent five years in jail for his role in the 1984 Milperra massacre, suffered leg and hip injuries and was airlifted to Westmead Hospital in a critical condition.

The 76-year-old was in a stable condition on Thursday and will undergo surgery later in the day.

Police say Ms Teo, 24, declined to provide detailed information to officers after the crash on Settlers Rd at Lower Macdonald, near Wisemans Ferry.

She was charged with dangerous driving occasioning grievous bodily harm, negligent driving occasioning grievous bodily harm, not keeping left of the dividing line and not giving particulars to police.

Police allege Ms Teo was driving on the wrong side of the road for at least 100m before striking the motorcycle.

NSW Police Detective Inspector Katie Orr said police were yet to speak in depth with Ms Teo.

ADVERTISEMENT

She was unsure how she returned to her Queens Park home in Sydney's eastern suburbs.

"She declined to be interviewed ... she provided a version but she didn't provide any further information for the circumstances surrounding the crash," Det Insp Orr told reporters on Thursday.

"(The charge will) be around not providing further details for the circumstances of the crash."

She is due to face Windsor Local Court on October 17.

Charlie Teo, based at the Prince of Wales Private Hospital in Randwick, was not available for comment.

Mr Ross was president and self-styled "Supreme Commander" of the Comancheros in the 1970s and 1980s, including the time of the Milperra massacre.

Six bikies and a 14-year-old bystander Leanne Walters were killed when Comancheros and Bandidos gang members engaged in gunfire in the carpark at the Viking Tavern in Milperra on Father's Day, 1984.

The massacre made headlines across the globe, and a huge police investigation culminated in about 31 people being tried for murder.

After a lengthy journey through the judicial system, nine men were convicted of the seven murders and 21 men convicted on seven counts of manslaughter.

Mr Ross was found to be the instigator of the massacre and guilty of murder, but later had his conviction downgraded to manslaughter.

Since leaving prison Mr Ross has been a volunteer firefighter north of Sydney.

3. Nick Kyrgios manages to avoid immediate ban from APT after explosive outburst.

ADVERTISEMENT

Nick Kyrgios has surprisingly managed to avoid an immediate ban from the ATP Tour following the conclusion of an investigation into his explosive second-round match in Cincinnati last month.

The peak body for tennis is expected to come under the microscope after instead opting to give the firebrand Australian a 16-week suspended ban and fine.

The suspension and fine of $US25,000 (A$37,000) will kick in if Kyrgios commits a similar offence within a six-month period, while he must also agree to continued support from a mental skills coach during tournaments plus seek extra help from a specialist in behavioural management before the end of the year.

Kyrgios had already been handed a record fine of $US113,000 ($A167,000) after committing eight offences during his second round match with Karen Khachanov, including verbally abusing umpire Fergus Murphy and spitting towards the official at the Cincinnati Masters in August.

He later said "the ATP was pretty corrupt anyway" before backing down from the claims.

The ATP determined in its findings those comments did not constitute a major offence and determined no further penalties would apply.

The investigation was conducted by Gayle David Bradshaw, executive vice president, rules & competition, who concluded that Kyrgios "has been found to have committed Aggravated Behaviour under the Player Major Offense provision in the ATP Code."

After a string of incidents over the past five years former Australian greats Pat Rafter and Rod Laver had called for Kyrgios to receive a ban.

In October 2016 Kyrgios was banned for eight weeks and fined $A32,000 in Shanghai for a range of behaviours including "lack of best efforts".

The period took in the closing stages of the year's tour and enabled him to participate at the Australian Open in 2017.

Earlier Thursday, Kyrgios announced he would return to Australia for an unspecified period of recovery.

"Unfortunately a collarbone injury I sustained at (the) Laver Cup has escalated and has forced me to pull out of the Asian swing, I'll be heading back to Australia to rest and recover," Kyrgios wrote on social media. "See you all soon."

Kyrgios, 24, played for the rest of the world as they lost the team competition Laver Cup to Europe in Geneva at the weekend but was visibly hampered in his serve.

4. An Indigenous woman serving a life sentence for murdering her abuser has been freed under "mercy" laws.

ADVERTISEMENT

An Aboriginal woman serving a life sentence for murdering her abusive partner in Western Australia will be freed from prison under rarely used "mercy" laws, with the case also prompting broader legal changes.

Jody Carolyn Gore was drunk when she fatally stabbed 39-year-old Damion Jones at a home in the Nulleywah Aboriginal community in Kununurra in June 2015.

Gore, who claimed she acted in self-defence, is serving life in prison with a minimum of 12 years.

Attorney-General John Quigley told parliament on Thursday that the government had recommended Governor Kim Beazley exercise the "royal prerogative of mercy" to remit the remainder of Ms Gore's sentence without pardoning her.

"Ms Gore has taken a life. She has served more than four years in prison," Mr Quigley said in a brief ministerial statement.

"I extend my condolences to the family of her victim, who was also her perpetrator.

"The government has decided that now is the time for mercy."

Mr Quigley said the decision was made after considering Ms Gore's medical conditions, the fact that as an indigenous woman she is away from her country, the extent that the substantial history of domestic violence contributed to her actions and her previous good character.

The case has also prompted the state government to seek changes to the law to "reflect the complexities of family and domestic violence" after conceding an amendment in 2008 may not have had its intended effect regarding self-defence.

"(We) will introduce legislative reforms to provide for jury directions and expert evidence to address stereotypes, myths and misconceptions about family and domestic violence," he said.

Opposition leader Liza Harvey backed the decision on Ms Gore, but said the proposed amendment to the law needed to ensure people did not see it as "an opportunity to take drastic action" and then hope for clemency in court.

ADVERTISEMENT

"We need to do something about alcohol-fuelled violence and we need to protect particularly our women and children," she told reporters.

Mr Quigley said Ms Gore's case could not be considered a precedent in any other matter.

National Suicide Prevention and Trauma Recovery Project coordinator Gerry Georgatos called for psychosocial and intense outreach support for Ms Gore.

"Following years of being battered, neglected, devastated, and then the harrowing situational trauma of incarceration ... there must be immediate trauma recovery," he said.

"Ms Gore must not be stranded following her release."

The organisation's director Megan Krakouer said Ms Gore's life reflected the lives of many indigenous people.

"Domestic violence must be much more spoken about and without fail responded to by local services," she said.

"Services must not turn a blind eye."

5. Ex-NSW cop who blackmailed women into having sex with him jailed.

A Sydney man who blackmailed women into having sex and sending him explicit photos before and after he became a NSW police officer is facing a long stint behind bars.

Vaughan Mark Hildebrand has admitted 44 offences committed over a decade, involving 15 victims - four of whom he forced into having sexual intercourse.

The 30-year-old appeared for sentencing in the NSW District Court on Thursday, when Judge Robyn Tupman spent hours outlining some of his crimes and imposing some jail terms.

ADVERTISEMENT

They involved forcing women to perform oral sex on him, intimidation, stalking, threatening to share explicit images with a victim's family, friends or colleagues, and a web of deception using fake identities on social media.

The judge will continue the "complicated and complex" sentencing on Friday before imposing his total and non-parole terms.

He had pleaded guilty to 11 counts of having sexual intercourse without consent,10 of using a carriage service to menace or harass a person, and one of using a carriage service to solicit child pornography.

He also pleaded guilty to a count of wilful misconduct in public office, two of dealing with identification information with the intention of committing an offence, and one of possessing a prohibited weapon without authority.

Hildebrand, who became a police officer in 2011 and was not caught until 2017, also asked the judge to take into account another 18 offences.

Judge Tupman said his first offence occurred in 2007, when the victim was a teenager.

From when he was 18, he forced her to perform oral sex by threatening to send nude images of her to her family and friends, and later to her boss.

He "was already acting callously and in a manipulative way", the judge said.

His persistent abuse of her for years involved escalating behaviour including intimidation and menacing her by playing with knives and describing how he hunted and killed pigs.

At one stage after he became a police officer, she came to him for advice about a relative's arrest and he forced her into sex again by either saying he would help through his contacts or get "him put away".

He told a second young victim that someone in the neighbourhood had been boasting about installing a secret camera and getting naked images of her.

Hildebrand then used an assumed identity and befriended her online, demanding pictures of her naked, claiming people were watching her through her bedroom.

When she blocked that identity, he created another one, saying: "Hi, I'm back, do you think you can hide from me".

She confided in Hildebrand about these demands, unaware that he was the perpetrator.

He used the same tactic with other victims he was acquainted with, contacting them using false identities while using details he knew about them from his personal knowledge.

00:00 / ???