We’ve rounded up all the latest news from Australia and around the world – so you don’t have to go searching.
1. Brussels attacks: the latest — bomb maker on the run as it emerges one airport suicide attacker left “will” on computer found in a bin.
Authorities are searching for the bomb maker in the Brussels terrorist attacks that killed 31 and injured 270 people.
Two of the suicide bombers have been identified as brothers Brahim El Bakraoui, who struck at the airport, and Khalid El Bakraoui, who struck at the metro station.
The second airport bomber has not been identified and a third, believed to be Najim Laachraoui, is now on the run.
In a press conference on Wednesday afternoon, prosecutor Frederic Van Leeuw confirmed that a suspect is still on the run but he did not name him as Najim Laachraoui.
He said: “A photo showing the three suspects has been issued and one of them has been identified, Mr Brahim El Bakraoui, because of his fingerprints, and he is of Belgian nationality.
“The second one on the left of the photograph has not been identified. The third one, in a hat, is still on the run and his bomb did not explode. It contained the biggest explosive charge and there was great instability of the explosives.”
One of the terrorists, Brahim El Bakraoui, left a note, which police found. It says: “I don’t know what to do”.
Prosecutor Frederic Van Leeuw said the note was found on a computer in a bin during a raid in Schaerbeek in which El Bakraoui wrote: “Being in a hurry, I don’t know what to do, being searched for everywhere, not being safe, if it drags on it could end up with me in a prison cell next to him”.
French media have reported that the “cell next to him” is a reference to Salah Abdeslam, the man captured last week in Brussels, thought to have been on the run after the Paris attacks.
In other developments:
- The first victim of the Brussels attacks has been named. She is Adelma Tapia Ruiz, 37, mother of twin four-year-old girls from Peru. She was killed in the bombings at Zaventem Airport.
- Witnesses now say the first blast at the airport took place at an excess baggage payment order, and the second near a Starbucks cafe.
- Brussels has held a one-minute silence after the attacks.
- Airport authorities around the world are examining whether security scanners could be installed at the entrances to airports.
- Australian border protection and Customs staff will remain on duty at international airports throughout the Easter weekend after calling off planned strike action in the wake of the terror attacks.
- The head of the world’s largest Muslim coalition has added his voice to the international condemnation of the attacks. Iyad Ameen Madani, the secretary general of the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation, expressed his condolences to the families of victims and to the Belgian people
- The Queen and Duke of Edinburgh have said they are “deeply shocked and saddened” by the Belgium terror attacks. In a statement posted on Twitter signed “Elizabeth R”, the Queen extended her sympathies to those affected by the “terrible series of events”.
2. Families search for missing loved ones.
Scores of families are anxiously searching for loved ones thought to be injured in the Brussels attacks and now missing. The wounded are spread among several hospitals and many of the dead have yet to be identified.
One woman, Aline Bastin, 29, is a Belgian local. Her friends put out this post on Facebook.
Another man, a British, had contacted his family after the airport blast went off assuring them he was alive and well. He then made his way to the metro station.
3. House searched in relation to the suspected murder of schoolgirl Tiahleigh Palmer.
Police in Brisbane have searched a vacant house in Logan, south of Brisbane in relation to the murder of Tiahleigh Palmer.
The 12-year-old last seen at her Logan school on October 30 last year, her body was found by a river on November 5.