It is generally assumed that breast milk is some sort of magical elixir that will guarantee a smart and healthy baby, increasing pressure on mums too breast feed under any circumstances. But now a comprehensive study has made a claim about breast milk that could change how we feel about breastfeeding forever.
The study has found that breast milk does not improve your baby’s IQ.
The Twins Early Development Study (Teds) conducted by Dr Sophie von Stumm and Dr Robert Plomin at Goldsmiths, University of London looked at the development of 5,791 sets of twins. 62 per cent of whom were breast fed for four months, while the remaining 38 per cent were bottle fed.
They were trying to figure out which impacts a child more - nature or nurture.
The twins underwent cognitive ability between the ages of two and 16 and while the girls in the group had slightly higher IQs than the boys, that evened out by the time the reached 16.