A NSW toddler likely died due to a powerful antidepressant being given to him while his mother was out shopping, an inquest has heard.
Twenty-one-month-old Jordan Thompson was accidentally or deliberately given the lethal dose of Amitriptyline, said Chris McGorey, counsel assisting the coroner, on Friday.
He was making closing submissions at Glebe Coroner’s Court at the resumed inquest into the death of Jordan in Singleton in 2005.
Mr McGorey said although police had been told Jordan was found face down in the bath, it was unlikely drowning alone was the cause of his death.
He said it was more probable the boy died due to a lethal dose of the antidepressant – which could be used to induce sleep – or drowned due to the drug’s effect.
“It would be a remarkable coincidence for Jordan to become submerged in the bath on the very day he has a drug in his system,” he said.
“It beggars belief.”
The inquest heard Jordan had been in the care of Cecil Kennedy, the boyfriend of his mother Bernice Swales, while she was out food shopping on the day he died.
In an interview with police, Mr Kennedy said he put Jordan in the bath and left him for 90 seconds after the boy woke up from an afternoon nap covered in urine, the inquest heard.
When he returned he found the toddler face down in the water, he told police.
Jordan’s mother arrived back at the home soon after to find Mr Kennedy performing CPR.
Ms Swales then picked up her son and ran to the nearby hospital, Mr McGorey said.
His eyes were flickering and rolling around and his body was going limp.
Efforts to resuscitate Jordan at the hospital failed and he died at about 6.30pm.