People were so shocked, that one of our colleagues brought back her childhood copy of the novel back from Brisbane, just for Holly and her daughter to read.
That got us thinking.
What are the books that every parent should read with their daughter (and, let’s be real, sons shouldn’t miss out on these classics).
Thanks to the many people who shared their thoughts on Holly’s Facebook page, and our own favourites in the Mamamia office, this is your go-to list.
1. Charlotte’s Web
2. Wizard of Oz
3. Nancy Drew (we’re unsure if this is still a thing?)
5. Little Women
6. Matilda (plus, any Roald Dahl novel, truthfully)
7. The Malory Towers collection
8. 7 Little Australians
10. Little House on the Prairie series
Scroll through to see more of the perfect books to read to your daughter. (Post continues after gallery.)
11. Famous Five
12. The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe
13. Black Beauty
14. My Friend Flicka
16. Anything by Enid Blyton
17. The Magic Faraway Tree series
18. Playing Beattie Bow
20. The Secret Garden
21. What Katy Did series
22. Goodnight Stories for Rebel Girls
What would you add to the list? We need all the suggestions!