At times, 2016 has felt like some sort of sick joke that’s not even remotely funny.
I’m not going to list off all the things this year that didn’t quite, er, go to plan, because you can read about them literally everywhere else on the Internet.
But you know how when you’re having a bad day, it’s easy to overlook the good things that are happening all around you? You begin almost wanting to feel hard done by?
Yes, well, 2016 is that bad day. And, in actual fact, some absolutely remarkable things happened over the past 12 months that we ought to celebrate. Here are 22 of them.
- There’s now a vaccine for ebola
- The World Health Organisation has reported the rates of malaria globally are down by 60 per cent.
- Giant pandas, green sea turtles and humpback whales are no longer endangered
Giant pandas rebound off endangered list https://t.co/RQyBRcIBZY
— BBC News (World) (@BBCWorld) September 4, 2016
- Global aid has increased by seven per cent
- Spain is getting rid of streets named after fascist leaders and is instead naming them after women. Because women are like, significantly, more impressive than fascists.
- Three words: Joe. Biden. Memes.
Biden: can i put whoopee cushions under all the chairs before he gets here
Obama: joe im on the phone
Biden:*muttering* u didnt say not to pic.twitter.com/qfjh3ffkPE
— rudy mustang (@roostermustache) November 11, 2016
Obama: “Joe, why are you still holding my hand?”
Biden: “I wanna freak Mike Pence out”
Obama: “But why?”
Biden: “Just roll with it” pic.twitter.com/o5KZZ0Ysgz
— thomas moore (@Thomas_A_Moore) November 12, 2016