A mum of three claims she nearly died at Adele's Adelaide concert.

An Adele fan claims she nearly died after dozens of giant, latex-covered balloons were dropped on the crowed at the singer’s Adelaide concert.

Poonja Newman, who suffers from a latex allergy, has spent the last two days in the Intensive Care Unit at The Royal Adelaide Hospital after coming into contact with the balloons on Monday night.

“I felt my lips swelling and I couldn’t breathe,” she told Seven News from her hospital bed.

balloons adele concert allergic reaction
Pooja and her sister in hospital. Image: Channel 7.

"I knew I was in trouble."

The mother of three self-administered three EpiPens in an attempt to halt the potentially life-threatening reaction, but they proved ineffective.


It was left to the 38-year-old's sister, Preeya Adams, to call an ambulance to Adelaide Oval where the concert was taking place - an ambulance, the pair say, that took 30 minutes to arrive.

"We waited and waited for this ambulance just to get her," Adams tearfully told Seven News.

balloons adele concert allergic reaction
The balloons dropped on the 70,00-strong crowd at The Adelaide Oval. Image: Twitter.

"It took forever, and we could have lost her."

Newman is now urging concert organisers to reconsider using the latex-covered balloons at future events.

00:00 / ???