1. Bali Nine appeal rejected.
Foreign Affairs Minister Julie Bishop has said the government is disappointed at the outcome of an appeal for Bali Nine duo Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran after it was rejected late yesterday.
“We understand that the legal team for Mr Chan and Mr Sukumaran is considering other legal options,” Ms Bishop said.
“Both men have undergone extensive rehabilitation and I will continue to make representations to my counterpart, just as Australia will continue to use all diplomatic options to seek a stay of execution. Again, the Australian Government respectfully requests the President to review their pleas for clemency.
The pair were appealing against president Joko Widodo’s refusal to grant them clemency.
Lawyers for the pair have vowed to keep on fighting and will this week take legal action in the constitutional court but the Attorney General H. M. Prasetyo has said there will be no more delays.
“This proves that they are simply trying to buy time. We can say they are playing with justice,”
2. Beanie belonging to missing 11-year old found in bush.
A beanie has been found belonging to an 11-year old boy with autism who wandered off on Good Friday from the Candlebark Campground at Lake Eildon Nation Park, in Victoria’s north-east where he was camping with his family for the Easter long weekend.
Luke Shambrook is described as being fascinated with water, of limited speech, and has a habit of hiding.
The discovery of his beanie yesterday afternoon was the first major breakthrough in the four-day search for the missing boy.
For more read this post here.
3. Kenya launches airstrike against al-Shabab camps.
Kenya has launched airstrikes against Al-Qaeda-linked Shabab insurgent camps in southern Somalia in retaliation for a massacre of 148 people at a Kenyan University.
Kenyan army spokesman David Obonyo told the BBC that the Government had responded to “threats” by launching the air strikes.
Two camps had been destroyed, he said, “The bombings are part of the continued process and engagement against al-Shabab, which will go on.”
Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta had vowed harsh measures against al-Shabab following the slaughter at Garissa, which is near the border with Somalia.
Foreign Minister Amina Mohamed told CNN that the response was “adequate.”
“One cannot actually say that the response was slow,” Foreign Minister Mohamed said.