1. Mum says her baby’s face ‘looked like a piece of bacon’ after allergic reaction to sunscreen.
— 7News Yahoo7 (@Y7News) February 1, 2017
A young mum has told 7 News that her young daughter’s face “looked like a piece of bacon” after she suffered a horrific allergic reaction from a Cancer Council sunscreen.
Sarah Wallace said she had used the brand’s Kids 50+ sunscreen on her daughter Chloe, but after she applied it, she developed a blister on her face.
In the following days, the blister spread across little Chloe’s cheeks and nose.
“There was no doubt in my mind it was directly from the product itself,” Wallace told 7 News.
Chloe’s reaction is the latest in a string of incidents across several brands in which consumers have complained of suffering severe burns and reactions despite applying sunscreen before stepping outside.
The Cancer Council said about one in about 125 people are likely to react to ingredients, which were approved by authorities and are common in most sunscreen brands.
“Babies skin is particularly sensitive and it’s also thinner than adult skin so the ability to get a reaction is much higher,” Cancer Council CEO Professor Sanchia Aranda told 7 News.
Parents are urged to do a patch-test before use.
2. Aged care worker who took naked selfies with patients put on sex offenders list.
— ABC News Tasmania (@abcnewsTas) February 1, 2017
A 32-year-old man who took photographs of himself with naked residents of the aged care home where he worked will be listed on the sex offenders register, ABC reports.
Adam Pettit escaped jail time for his offences, which include taking pictures of female patients in various states of undress without their consent.
Pettit’s lawyer said he was going through relationship difficulties, was “drinking to excess” and had been suffering from anxiety when the incidents took place.
Pettit was handed a two month suspended jail sentence on the condition he complete 100 hours of community service and be on good behaviour for three years. He will also be listed on the sex offenders register for five years.
3. Mystery surrounds the identity of a woman’s body found on a Victorian beach.
— Wes Hosking (@WesHosking) February 1, 2017
Police are appealing for help from the public to help identify the body of a woman found at Black Rock beach in Victoria yesterday morning.
Police have so far been unable to identify the woman, the Herald Sun reports.
The woman is believed to be aged in her early 20s to mid-30s, had shoulder length dark hair, brown or hazel eyes and is of Caucasian appearance.
She was about 174cm and weighed around 90kg and was found wearing a black one-piece swimsuit.
Her death is not believed to be suspicious, and police think it’s possible she entered the water near Sandringham Life Saving Club the day before her body was discovered.
A computer-generated image of the woman has been released in the hope a member of the public can identify her. Anyone with information is urged to contact Crime Stoppers via 1800 333 000 or crimestoppersvic.com.au.
4. Woman accused of stabbing her boyfriend because he refused to have a threesome.
Woman allegedly stabbed her lover after he refused a threesome with another woman https://t.co/MgTNqqwLUM
— news.com.au (@newscomauHQ) February 1, 2017
A 42-year-old woman from Arizona has been accused of stabbing her boyfriend with a pair of scissors after he refused to take part in a threesome with her and another woman.
According to Havasu News, Teresa M. Gillard faces felony charges for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and disorderly conduct with a weapon.
Police allege Gillard attacked her boyfriend after he declined her request to invite a woman she had met earlier in the day in a dog park over for a threesome.
When he refused, a verbal argument escalated and became physical, resulting in Gillard stabbing her partner in the arm with the scissors.
The woman then called the police from a neighbour’s house when she was locked her out of the house. She is currently in police custody.
5. Brother of alleged Bourke Street killer released from hospital.
The brother of the accused Bourke Street killer has been discharged from hospital https://t.co/bVyEKc7gei
— The Age (@theage) February 1, 2017
The younger brother of alleged Bourke Street killer Dimitrious ‘Jimmy’ Gargasoulas has been discharged from hospital, The Age reports.
Angelo Gargasoulas had been recovering in The Alfred hospital after he was allegedly stabbed multiple times in the chest and head by his brother in the hours before the attack at Bourke Street mall.
Dimitrious has been charged with several counts of murder after he is accused of driving his car through the crowded Bourke Street, killing six people, including a three-month-old baby.
Angelo shared a heartfelt message of support on Facebook over the weekend to those who had been affected by the tragedy.
“My heart goes out to you and for all those still fighting in hospital, my thoughts are with you and your recovery,” he wrote.
“No one could’ve predicted what Jimmy did or that he’d do that.”
6. Daycare worker who sexually abused a young girl is attacked by alleged victim outside court.
— Nine News Adelaide (@9NewsAdel) February 1, 2017
A former director of an out-of-hours child care centre, 36-year-old Brenton Kelly Dickson, was attacked by a woman and a teenage girl as he left South Australian District Court yesterday.
Dickson was found guilty of the persistent exploitation of a child under his care, 9 News reports.
Dickson was acquitted on multiple other charges that allegedly involved up to 10 children. The teenager who confronted him outside the court was one of the alleged victims of an offence that he was found not guilty of.
“Look at me, I’m not myself any more,” the teenager screamed as Dickson left the court. “I hate you. F*** you.”
The other woman grabbed the 36-year-old by the hair in the car park, before a journalist told her she could be charged for assault.
“I don’t care. It’s worth it,” she said.
The victim in the charge for which Dickson was found guilty had earlier told the court that she used to be a “bubbly” girl, whose “smile had faded” since the incident.
“I feel disgusted that people in this world could do this,” she said in her in her victim impact statement, read by prosecutor Mark Norman.
“I am so hurt that someone that I should’ve been able to trust did this to me.”
Do you have a story to share with Mamamia? Email us [email protected]