true crime

An Australian mum has been arrested in Bali after the beach murder of a policeman.

An Australian mother of two has spent the night in a Balinese jail cell, following her arrest in relation to the murder of a policeman on Kuta Beach.

The body of Wayan Sudarsa was discovered on the sand around 3am local time on Wednesday, with at least 17 deep wounds to his head and neck, possibly caused by a beer bottle.

Byron Bay resident Sara Connor and British man David Taylor have been detained by local authorities, who have allegedly placed the pair at the scene.

Denpasar police chief Sr Comr Sugeng Priyanto questioned Connor shortly after she and Taylor handed themselves into the Australian consulate.

“[Connor] said that at the time she was drunk. So she did not remember all the things that happened that night… meanwhile the man, David Taylor, a Brit, is yet to give a statement. He said he wants to wait for a lawyer,” Sr Comr Priyanto said, according to News Corp Australia.

Police say they were led to the pair by evidence found at the scene as well as reports from nine witnesses.

Sr Comr Priyanto said blood was found in Taylor’s hotel room, while Connor’s credit card and wallet were among belongings found near the crime scene, reports ABC.

The pair also reportedly both had wounds on their hands.

David Taylor, 33, was reportedly on a date with Connor at the time of the alleged murder. Image: Facebook.

A close friend of Connor's and fellow Byron Bay local, Avishay Biton, told News Corp Australia that he was baffled by the news of the arrests.

“That’s a big shock to me,” he said. "They’re both so nice, it doesn’t make sense.

Connor's young children have reportedly been staying with their father (Connor's ex-husband) while their mother is on holiday.

“She loves her kids. I just want to make that really clear," said Biton. "They’re both beautiful people and I would to my core be shocked if they were involved. I’m so worried about them.”

Connor and Taylor were reportedly on a date at the time of the alleged murder.

Police now have 24 hours to determine whether the pair are genuine suspects.

Feature image via Facebook.