1. Girls as young as 9 being sent from Australia as child brides.
The practise of sending young girls away from Sydney to become child brides is “rife” with a “tsunami of kids” being taken overseas.
The Daily Telegraph reports at least 73 cases have been reported to the child protection helpline since July 2014.
Family and Community Services Minister Brad Hazzard described the practice as “barbaric and cruel” saying that religious imams need to educate their local communities to “recognise that forced marriage is completely unacceptable.”
In one case, a 10-year-old girl was sent to Indonesia – also under the threat of female genital mutilation. Another involved a 12-year-old who was told she would have to marry her father’s cousin when she turned 13.
“They should talk to their communities and make sure they understand it’s completely unacceptable and criminal,”Mr Hazzard said.
“One youth home service — which has children from interstate, overseas and a number of children from Sydney — says this practice is rife.”
“They told me they could fill their 65 beds with children who are escaping forced marriage. We have to get something done — it’s a tsunami of children out there seeking help.”
Most of the cases involve girls aged around 14, but two of them saw nine-year-olds sent overseas.
One of the nine-year-olds was sent to Afghanistan to marry, and the other was forced by her mother to marry a man in Pakistan.
2. Suspect arrested in New York bombings.
The main suspect in the New York and New Jersey bombing plots, Ahmad Khan Rahami, has been taken into custody injured after a police shootout.
The shootout took place in Linden, New Jersey, with Rahami shooting an officer with a bullet proof vest non-fatally in the chest in the exchange.
Earlier police linked the two bombing plots on Saturday the first in Elizabeth, New Jersey, where a series of homemade devices were found and the weekend explosion which injured 29 people in Chelsea, New York.
Police launched a manhunt for Rahami, 28, who was arrested after the shootout with police. FBI agents have also questioned five people believed to be members of Rahami’s family.
3. Tiahleigh Palmer’s mother names relative as owner of car police seized.
The mother of Tiahleigh Palmer, the 12-year-old found dead on the banks of the Pimpama River in Brisbane, has named the original owner of the car seized by police in a Facebook post.
In an extraordinary Facebook post yesterday, Cindy Palmer revealed that Tiahleigh’s former foster father owned the blue 2009 Ford Falcon XR6 sedan police seized last week.
“The car that was seized is identical to the one that … and … had, the one they had sold within days of Tiahleigh’s body being found,” she wrote.
Police soon instructed her to take the post down reports The Courier Mail.
The newspaper reports that they are in no way suggesting the people named in Cindy Palmer’s post had anything to do with Tiahleigh’s murder.
Police have offered a $250,000 reward for anyone who was not directly involved in her murder but can provide information which leads to the arrest of an offender.
4. Man injured in Minto terrorist attack thought he was going to die.
The man who seriously injured in a stabbing in the Sydney suburb of Minto has spoken about the attack for the first time saying he thought he was going to die.