news

Austin Cotterill dies in hospital after Eidsvold house fire

A two-year-old boy who had 90 per cent burns to his body after a house fire near Bundaberg in southern Queensland has died in hospital.

Austin Cotterill was airlifted to the Lady Cilento Children’s Hospital in Brisbane after the blaze at Eidsvold, south-west of Bundaberg, on April 26.

Austin’s family made the decision to turn off his life support system on Saturday afternoon.

Louie Naumovski, from the Logan House Fire Support Network who was supporting the family, said Austin’s death was a tragedy.

“He really fought hard – he was giving everyone hope that he was going to pull through, but sadly surgeries and some infections just weren’t going to mend itself,” he said.

“After numerous discussions [with doctors] the gut-wrenching decision by mum and dad was made to turn his life support off.”

A statement posted on a fundraising website to support the family has asked for the public to respect their privacy.

“The family are understandably deeply upset and devastated at his passing,” the statement said.

“The family wish to thank the emergency services, hospital staff at Lady Cilento and the public for all of the prayers and thoughts.

“We will continue to offer the help and support the family need to get them through this.”

In a statement, police said their “thoughts were with the boy’s family and loved ones at this difficult time”.

Police will prepare a report for the coroner.

© 2016 Australian Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved. Read the ABC Disclaimer here.

This post originally appeared on ABC News.

Tags: children , current-affairs , kids
00:00 / ???