By Josh Bavas
The family of murdered Toowoomba teenager Annette Mason is hopeful the reopening of an inquest into her death will lead to the conviction of her killer.
Queensland Attorney-General Yvette D’Ath announced on Monday there would be another inquest, after months of petitioning by the Mason family and supporters.
The 15-year-old’s partly naked body was found bludgeoned to death in the bedroom of her Anzac Avenue home in November 1989.
She was murdered after a night out sneaking into pubs and was last seen alive that morning at about 3:30am when she arrived home in a taxi.
It was her first week living out of home and she had been share-housing with other women.
No-one was ever charged and an inquest in 1991 found there was insufficient evidence to find anyone responsible, despite hearing from 25 witnesses.
In October last year, her family marched through the streets of Brisbane with dozens of supporters, pleading for a second inquest.
Her sister Linda Mason said she was overwhelmed to find out the reopening of the inquest had finally been granted.
“I’m still in tears, I just couldn’t believe it — Annette was such a kind, loving young girl and I just think she needs justice — she deserves so much more than what she’s got so far,” she said.
“I’ve been confident since the beginning that we’re going to get justice and I’m confident still.”
Ms Mason said new information had become available since the previous inquiry that could assist the coroner now.
“So much has happened and so much information has come forward since then,” she said.
“We needed to push to make this happen — I don’t think it would happen without our determination and our constant media pressure et cetera, support online and through social media.
“I think it’s all helped to get where we are now.”
A $250,000 reward is on offer for information leading to the conviction of anyone responsible.
This post originally appeared on ABC News.
© 2016 Australian Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved. Read the ABC Disclaimer here.