1. Tromp family may receive $200,000 to tell their story.
It is the story that has captivated Australia – the mysterious tale of the Tromp family – and it may be their payday with reports the big current affairs giants are chasing the family for an exclusive deal for their story.
Both Sunday Night and 60 Minutes are rumoured to be keen for the story with the bidding to convince the Tromps to talk to start at $100,000 and expected to go up to $200,000.
“As interview talent, this family is as good as it gets,” one source told News Limited.
“They’re an attractive, seemingly well-off family with a bizarre story to tell. There are so many questions remaining, which only they can answer.”
The story is said to be worth “at least $100k — possibly much more if a bidding war breaks out. They’d be willing to go up to $200k — keeping in mind that budgets have been cut”.
“It would certainly be worth spending the money, as it’s intriguing and bizarre” said a TV executive.
Jacoba and Riana Tromp both currently remain in hospital for mental health issues with Mark Tromp expected to return home this week.
2. Police identify woman whose body was found in a suitcase in the Swan River in early July.
Police in Western Australia have identified a woman whose body was found in a suitcase in the Swan River at North Fremantle in early July as Mosman Park mother Annabelle Chen.
Ms Chen, 57, is described as an artist from a wealthy family who lived alone.
Ms Chen was an Australian citizen and had more than one child.
The suitcase containing Ms Chen was weighed down with tiles and was found by a fisherman in the Swan River at North Fremantle on July 2.
Police say Ms Chen had a violent death with a post-mortem revealing significant injuries. They identified her after her daughter travelled to Perth from Melbourne last week because she was worried that she had not been able to contact her mother since June 30. When she found her mother’s car at home but her mother missing she called police.
Ms Chen had a complex relationship with her estranged family reports the ABC.
“It’s a very extended family but it’s a very complex situation which I won’t go into,” Detective Senior Sergeant Tom Mills said
“She did remain in contact via other means and her worried relatives reported her missing after an unusually long break in communication, which was out of character for her,” Detective Mills added.
Police are now searching her home for clues.
3. Mum in Smithfield murder suicide had taken their daughter to see her dad for Father’s Day.
It has been revealed that the victim of Sunday’s murder/suicide, Tasmin Bahar, 35 had taken her three-year-old daughter around to visit her father, Dave Pillay, with whom Ms Bahar had a six-year relationship for Father’s Day.
The body of Ms Bahar was found in the bathroom of the home in Smithfield along with that of Mr Pillay who both died as their three-year-old daughter slept.
Ms Bahar’s cousin told Seven News that Ms Bahar had left the relationship after Pillay had threatened her.
Sifat Sharmin Ruponty said “He (Pillay) took a knife to my niece’s neck and that is when (she) decided she cannot live with the man anymore.”
For domestic violence support 24/7, call 1800 RESPECT (1800 737 732).
4. Rio Tinto sued over ovarian cancer links.
Australian mining giant Rio Tinto is being sued in the US by ovarian cancer sufferers who allege their use of talcum powder sourced from Rio Tinto’s mines led to their cancer.
Fairfax Media reports all five women were diagnosed with ovarian cancer between 2011 and 2015 and all used the products Johnson Baby Powder and Shower to Shower to “dust her perineum for feminine hygiene purposes.”
Since February two women in the US have won damages claims totalling $172 million in separate cases after juries found their use of talcum powder had led to their terminal ovarian cancer.
A spokeswoman for Johnson & Johnson told Fairfax Media they “continue to defend the safety of Johnson’s Baby Powder”.
“Multiple scientific and regulatory reviews have determined that talc is safe for use in cosmetic products and the labelling on Johnson’s Baby Powder is appropriate,” the spokeswoman told the newspaper.
5. Man who planned to behead a police officer on Anzac Day jailed for 10 years.
Sevdet Besim, who planned to behead a police officer on Anzac Day and then kill others in the community with his gun has been sentenced to 10 years in prison.
In jailing him Supreme Court Justice Michael Croucher said Sevdet Besim’s “terrifying and evil attack” was designed to strike fear in the public and undermine confidence in authorities.
The court heard that Besim had spent days writing a suicide note and chose Anzac Day “to make sure those dogs remember this as well as their fallen heroes.”
The 19-year-old had a pledge to the leader of Islamic State on his phone and a note discussing his burial wishes.
Besim’s barrister, George Georgiou SC, said Besim was a young man who was exposed to a radical form of Islam by “charismatic older men at the Al Furqan Islamic Information centre in Springvale.”
6. David Taylor changes some of his statements about Sara Connor.
The couple accused of murdering a Balinese policeman on a Kuta beach have come together again to be quizzed by police over differences in their statements.
Mr Taylor had claimed that Ms Connor told him she hit the policeman after he bit her while the three were wrestling on the beach, Taylor has now changed that statement to “Maybe … I forgot”.
His lawyer said “He was in a panicked state, he was scared, he only remembers now.”
Mr Taylor also claimed that Ms Connor had burned the bloodied clothes the couple had worn.
But his lawyer says again Mr Taylor has changed that statement.
” He said just now: ‘Maybe Sara’s match wouldn’t light up. So I took the match and it was me who lit the fire to burn the clothes. Maybe (before) I wasn’t remembering clearly'” Taylor’s lawyer told media.
Fairfax Media reports that Denpasar crime investigation chief said Mr Taylor and Ms Connor still both remained suspects.
“The bite wounds on her are consistent with the victim fighting back and defending himself,” Mr Nainggolan said.
7. Two small boys, two nations apart both with their heads stuck in toilet seats.
Oceans apart two small boys have found themselves in a similar predicament – with their heads stuck in a toilet seat.
In Adelaide James Chamberlain, 2, had to be cut out of the toilet seat by paramedics after he found himself with a “toilet hat.”
The Advertiser reports that his frantic mum called paramedics after her two-year-old couldn’t remove the toilet seat from his head.
“I was just getting ready for work and he said ‘mumma, stuck, help’ and I turned around and (the training seat) was hanging around his neck,” mother Emma Simek said.
Meanwhile firefighters have rescued a four-year-old who managed to get his head stuck in a toilet seat in the UK.
The British boy Luca was rushed to the fire station on Monday by his mum Nicola after getting his head stuck in a toilet seat.
Firefighters used cutters to free Luca from the plastic seat.
Do you have a story to share with Mamamia? Email us [email protected]