news

How one police officer's memory caught Aiia Maasarwe's alleged killer, & more in News in 5.

-With AAP.

1. How one police officer’s memory caught Aiia Maasarwe’s alleged killer.

The arrest of Aiia Maasarwe’s alleged killer may have taken longer, if it weren’t for the good memory of a local police officer.

Murder suspect Codey Herrmann was arrested two days after the Palestinian student with Israeli citizenship’s death, which according to an exclusive article by The Age, was due to a police officer stationed at Heidelberg recognising a distinctive ‘1986’ cap and two-tone grey t-shirt dumped outside the shopping centre where Maasarwe’s body was found.

The local police officer remembered stopping Herrmann four days earlier while he was wearing the same clothing.

Herrmann was on bail for minor offences.

Under proposed legislation that stalled in Victoria’s upper house before the state’s November election, Herrmann’s DNA would have been taken during his previous arrest, speeding up the process of his arrest as it would have immediately matched DNA found at the crime scene.

A spokesman for the Victorian government told The Age the legislation would be reintroduced when Parliament returns in February.

The Victorian coroner is expected to release the body of international student Aiia Maasarwe on Monday.

Maasarwe’s body is expected to be given to a funeral director for repatriation.

Her father, Saeed Maasarwe, had asked for his daughter’s body to be released so he could lay her to rest.

“(To) take her home for a proper burial and funeral,” he told The Age on Sunday while he attended a tribute in her honour.

About 1000 people gathered outside a mosque in Israel on Saturday calling for her return, chanting “we need Aiia home” and “we are all Aiia’s sisters, Aiia is the daughter of all of us”.

Her sister Noor Maasarwe had been watching the news when she realised her sister had been found dead in Melbourne.

“They didn’t say for who it was,” she told Nine News on Sunday from Israel.

“But it matches all the details. It was on the same road. Everything. I was just praying that it’s not her. Then I saw the shoes and her phone … I was sure it was her.”

Maasarwe alighted a tram in Bundoora moments before she was attacked.

Her body was found near a shopping centre about 7am on January 16.

Aspiring rapper Herrmann, 20, is due to appear in Melbourne Magistrates Court on Monday accused of her rape and murder.

2. Roger Federer’s shock loss at Australian Open.

ADVERTISEMENT

It may not be a changing of the guard but Stefanos Tsitsipas hopes his stunning win over Roger Federer can propel him to further glory at the Australian Open.

The Greek prodigy made history on Sunday night, defeating six-time champion Federer 6-7 (11-13) 7-6 (7-3) 7-5 7-6 (7-5) to advance to the quarter-finals at Melbourne Park.

Aged 20 and playing in just his second Australian Open, Tsitsipas is the first Greek tennis player – man or woman – to reach the final eight at a major.

The 14th seed will face Spain’s Roberto Bautista Agut on Tuesday and could meet Rafael Nadal in the semi-finals.

Retired great John McEnroe said the win could represent a changing of the guard following years of domination for Federer, Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic – a suggestion quickly dismissed by 20-time grand slam champion Federer.

“He’s in front of the mic a lot. He’s always going to say stuff,” Federer said.

“I love John. I’ve heard that story the last 10 years – from that standpoint, nothing new there.

“About Stefanos, I think he’s definitely done a really nice job now the last year and a half. I mean before that, too, obviously. But beating Novak in Toronto, the likes of (Kevin) Anderson and (Alexander) Zverev, now me here – that’s what you need to do to get to the next level.

“It’s really nice for him. I see him definitely being high up in the game for a long time. That was a good night for him tonight.”

Federer had four set points on Tsitsipas’s serve up 5-4 in the second but failed to convert any as his junior opponent showed nerves of steel.

Having stared down 12 break points to hold serve for the match against his childhood hero, Tsitsipas was confident of continuing his magical run.

“My idol today became pretty much my rival,” Tsitsipas said.

3. Woman thrown from balcony in DV incident.

ADVERTISEMENT

A man is in police custody after he allegedly threw a woman from a first-floor balcony in inner Sydney during a domestic incident.

Police were called to a unit block in Redfern about 9.25pm on Sunday and found the woman, aged in her 30s. She was taken to hospital in a stable condition with fractures.

They arrested a 45-year-old man in a unit at the block and he is assisting police with their inquiries.

In an unrelated incident, a 34-year-old man was arrested after he began bashing a police car parked at the unit block with a cricket bat. He is expected to be charged with malicious damage.

4. Arrests in Sydney baby formula theft ring.


Five people have been charged over the alleged coordinated theft of more than $1 million worth of baby formula across Sydney.

The latest arrest came on Saturday, when a 31-year-old man was detained at Sydney Airport after he arrived on a flight from China.

The Carlingford man was charged and appeared at Parramatta Bail Court on Sunday, where he was granted strict bail. He will reappear at Parramatta Local Court on January 30.

In August, investigators from Strike Force Dungv searched two homes in Carlingford and seized 4000 tins of baby formula, large quantities of vitamins, and manuka honey; all of which were allegedly stolen. They also seized more than $215,000 in cash, allegedly the proceeds of crime.

ADVERTISEMENT

A 48-year-old woman and a 35-year-old man were charged at that time and remain before the courts. Another man, 53, was arrested on December 19 and a 29-year-old woman on January 4.

Police will allege in court that the two men and woman were part of an organised syndicate receiving more than $1 million worth of stolen products, including baby formula and health supplements, which were then on-sold overseas.

5. Barnaby Joyce, partner expecting baby two.

Barnaby Joyce and his partner Vikki Campion are expecting a second child.

The former Nationals leader and his ex-staffer Ms Campion have revealed the news to family and friends, The Courier-Mail reports.

“We are actually having another child, called Tom, so there you go,” Mr Joyce said in footage broadcast by Seven News from a fundraiser on Sunday afternoon.

He apologised for Ms Campion’s non-attendance at the event before breaking the news of his “great blessing”.

It is understood the baby boy is due in June and will take the name after Mr Joyce’s grandfather, Thomas.

The New England MP resigned as deputy prime minister and Nationals leader last February after revelations surfaced of his affair with Ms Campion.

The couple already have a baby son, Sebastian, and Mr Joyce has four daughters from his marriage with now estranged wife Natalie.

Opposition Leader Bill Shorten congratulated Mr Joyce and his family.

“That’s entirely a personal matter for them and I congratulate them. Whenever a child is to be born it is good news,” Mr Shorten told reporters in Queensland on Sunday.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison also offered his congratulations.

FROM OUR NETWORK
00:00 / ???