We’ve rounded up all the latest stories from Australia and around the world – so you don’t have to go searching.
1. 22 childcare facilities had been fined in the past 10 years leaving children unsupervised in WA alone.
As the man accused of raping two children he allegedly lured from a North Perth child care centre is identified after a suppression order on his name being published was lifted, it has been revealed that 22 childcare facilities had been fined in the past 10 years leaving children unsupervised in WA alone.
Vincenzo Mule, 52 has appeared in court after allegedly luring a four-year-old girl and five-year-old boy away from a vacation care program in North Perth on April 19 and sexually assaulting them before dumping them in Hyde Park.
They were found alone about an hour later by a member of the public.
Police say staff at the care centre had not even realised they were missing.
WA Today reports that 22 childcare facilities had been fined in the past 10 years to December 2015 for leaving children unsupervised, with at least eight of the incidents involved children wandering away from centres and three involved children being lost or left behind at public excursions.
Mule was remanded in custody and is yet to enter a plea for his charges which include three counts of sexual penetration of a child under 13 years of age and two counts of deprivation of liberty.
2. High Court could restore Gerard Baden-Clay’s murder conviction.
The High Court has taken steps where by it could restore Gerard Baden-Clay’s murder conviction after a decision to grant prosecutors rare special leave to appeal yesterday.
Last year Baden-Clay’s murder conviction of his wife Alison was downgraded to manslaughter after the Queensland Court of Appeal set aside the murder finding saying the Crown had failed to prove Baden-Clay intended to kill his wife.
Baden-Clay’s legal team had argued there was sufficient evidence to prove that he had killed her, but insufficient evidence to prove he had done so intentionally.
The Queensland’s Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) appealed to widespread public condemnation after his conviction was downgraded.
Yesterday the High Court granted special leave for the full bench to hear the appeal at a hearing expected to be held in front of five judges in three months.
3. First debate of the election tonight.
The first debate of the long election campaign will take place tonight with Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull and Opposition Leader Bill Shorten to hold a first face-to-face debate in the western Sydney electorate of Macquarie.
The event has been organised by Sky News and will be broadcast live on Sky – with the leaders taking questions from audience members.
4. NSW Council amalgamations go ahead.
In NSW one-third of the state’s councils have been put in administration for 16 months.
Yesterday the Premier Mike Baird announced the most “comprehensive local government reform” in 100 years with 19 new councils to be formed across Sydney and NSW.
And the government has said it would potentially merge another nine after legal action is finalized.
Mayors and councillors at 42 councils were sacked with no notice and replaced with administrators until delayed elections in September 2017.
“There’s a group of councils that seem to be determined to hang on to head office costs, hang on to more councils, rather than say to their community… I think you would want more childcare, you want more community transport, you want better sporting facilities” Mr Baird said.
“I strongly believe the people have us here to make decisions. Now we think this is in the long-term interests of every rate-payer in this state.”