1. 14-year-old Madison got into her bathtub and grabbed her phone. Minutes later, she was dead.
Teen girl from Lubbock, Texas, dies after being electrocuted in a bathtub while using her cell phone. https://t.co/tfip4sJVZ2
— USA TODAY (@USATODAY) July 11, 2017
A 14-year-old girl in the United States has died after she used her cellphone in a bathtub, the KCBD News reports.
Madison Coe, from Texas, was taking a bath at her father’s home in the neighbouring state of New Mexico when she was electrocuted.
Her family believes she either plugged in her phone or reached for her phone that was already on charge while she was in the water.
“There was a burn mark on her hand, the hand that would have grabbed the phone,” her grandmother, Donna O’Guinn, told KCBD.
“That was just very obvious that that’s what had happened.”
Her family is now intent on sharing her story to ensure everyone knows the dangers of using electricity near water.
“This is such a tragedy that doesn’t need to happen to anyone else. And we want something good to come out of this as awareness,” her grandmother said.
“We don’t want to lose anybody.”
Madison had just graduated from the eighth grade, and was preparing to begin high school in the new school year.
Her grandmother said she was “sweet to everybody” and “loved life”.
“I call her my shining star,” Donna said.
“She’s just going to be greatly missed by all of us. She has a special place in my heart.”
Madison will be farewelled at a memorial service this Saturday, and a family friend has launched a GoFundMe campaign to help her family with her funeral costs.
2. Former QLD police officer jailed for life for horror attempted murder of his wife and two children.
— 7 News Brisbane (@7NewsBrisbane) July 11, 2017