I can hardly keep my eyes open after another night of fitful sleep due to scary nightmares, wet beds, the desperate cries for a bottle of milk and the possums with their nightly party on the roof. I’m tired.
And I know I’m not the only one who’s knackered.
Whether it’s long working hours, the neighbours partying next door, the back-wash of a bubble-filled night out, or like me, the cumulative effects of not having more than 6 hours sleep per night since I had kids, many of us are bone tired and just scraping by.
So I asked the sisterhood-of-the-most-sleep-deprived* – women with children under 6 – to share their best tips and shortcuts for looking alive when you’re dead on your feet.
Here are their top 12 tips for looking good when you are tired:
1. Make up
Suze, a mother of 3 advised “Keep it light, keep it fresh.”
If you want to prioritise in order of importance for an awake look, here are the top 4 make up items you’ll need:
– Lip gloss or lipstick . Adds instant polish, and distracts from tired eyes. You want them to be thinking “Whoa, check out that bright red lip!” not “Jeez, how bloodshot are her eyes?”.
– Concealer , to cover under eye circles. Yves Saint Laurent Radiant Touch $44.50 was recommended by the mothers in the survey for this ardous task, and is also known to be a ‘makeup essential’ according to beauty editors for its amazing ability to deflect light from under-eye shadows. I lovingly refer to it as my “magic stick”.
– Mascara. It’ll help rid yourself of that bare-faced, shell-shocked look. I’m a huge fan of Maybelline Great Lash Mascara . Curling your eyelashes can instantly open up your peepers too.
– Bronzer or blush to take away the ‘ashen’ look. My all time favourite is a true wonder product called Benetint by Benefit . Use it as a stain on your cheeks for a really natural glow that stays. As an added bonus you can use it as a lip stain too. At $28 a pop it won’t be the cheapest item in your makeup bag, but I’ll bet it lasts the longest. I’ve used mine daily for nearly 2 years. Or, try a cheek cream which will leave your skin with a fresh dewy finish.
For a great video tutorial by Zoe Foster on how to achieve bright eyes with your make up, click here.
2. Make more effort with your hair.
This is a great way to deflect attention from your tired face. And it doesn’t need to take too much time.
Super-fast shortcuts include:
– Pull your hair back into a ponytail. It looks cleaner and more streamlined, and can give you an instant face-lift. For instant polish, run a hair straightener over your ponytail to smooth it out.