by ZOE FOSTER
Sometimes, you will just look like shit. It’s inevitable. Sometimes you will have earned it with four glasses of Clare Valley’s finest, sometimes you’ve flown to four states in three days, sometimes your baby will cry on hourly intervals, and sometimes your neighbours host parties even though you live in apartments with walls thinner than the smile you are forced to give them in the foyer the next day.
The eyes and the skin will suffer – and show – the most. The former will be glazed and red, the latter dry and unhappy and you will appear to have aged 15 years overnight. Cute!
I thought I would offer some quick and new ways to pep those guys up, even though despite ALL my best sorcery, sometimes by 5pm I look like shit again and the only solution is a stealthy 40 minutes on the lounge.
I know this because after attending the beauty industry’s Dream Ball on Friday night, (which is put on by the magnificent Look Good… Feel Better gang and hosted by the patron thereof, Kerry-Anne Kennerley, who was at her most dazzlingly glamorous, energetic, mischievous best) I woke up looking and feeling a leeeeeetle bit scratchy. And with a dress-up-look-nice birthday lunch advancing at a terrifying pace, I needed to, uh, not.
NOTE: This looks time intensive, (I timed it at just over 17 minutes… 7 if you skip the mask) but you will only get out what you put in, which is why even though you FEEL like a slap of tinted moisturiser and lip gloss will do the trick, it won’t, and it’s worth putting in a bit more effort so that at least even if you feel like hell, you don’t look it too.
Here’s what to do:
– Cleanse face – 30 seconds
– Remove all of last night’s eye makeup again, because more will have inevitably appeared as you slept – 30 seconds
– Exfoliate face so your skin care will be able to sink in and work its wizardry – 60 seconds
– Apply a mask that will add glow/radiance/moisture, (Don’t roll your eyes. It’s worth it and you can do your hair or eat or get dressed as it sits there) which you will need so that your makeup does not continuously sink into your thirsty skin. I used the new Sodashi brightening mask, which smelled tremendous and after 10 minutes gave me a believable plumpness. I also love a cloth mask in these instances. (The Skin Vitals ones are Priceline are cheap and good.) – 10 minutes
– Apply daily moisturiser with SPF and eye cream – 30 seconds