I always thought my kids’ Lego packs were missing a variety of hats or little plastic hair pieces but apparently that’s not the case.
Lego, being a family-friendly brand, wanted to ensure children could still breathe in case they ever accidentally swallowed one of the little head pieces.
They told Gizmodo, “We added this hole on the top of the head just in case any kids got one of the heads stuck on their throat. That way they would be able to keep breathing.”
It was only three years ago that the company made the decision to do this and as a parent, it leaves me feeling all warm and fuzzy.
It’s also amazing how this safety feature has became one of the most defining details of LEGO’s branding — in the words of Mark Wilson from Fast Co. Design, “A minifig just wouldn’t be a minifig were it more dangerous to children.”