Have you used these?
You see them on sale everywhere you go.
You see them prettily decorating the necks of babies everywhere, from celebrities to the mum across the road. You admire them and smile at how sweet each child looks adorned in the tiny beads.
Amber teething necklaces are sold in the millions around the world. But it seems too many of us buys them, admiring their beauty but do not heed the warnings that they are dangerous, and that in fact if used incorrectly, they could kill your baby.
An Australian mother is the latest to issue a stark reminder to parents after she found her daughter face down in her cot choking after becoming entangled in her necklace.
Ashleigh Ferguson has posted a warning on Facebook which has gone viral about the moment she found her 15-month old daughter, Ellie.
Ashleigh from Wodonga said Ellie had managed to get her arm up under the amber teething necklace, twisting it into a figure eight between her arm and neck.
“How she got her arm through to that point I will never know.”
“It was wrapped around her arm and neck with a twist in between and my stomach just dropped with a sickening feeling that something like this could even happen.”
“But if the pressure on her neck had been in a slightly different point, it’s unimaginable.”
Her post has attracted more than 60,000 shares since she first issued the warning.
She told News Limited, “Mums think they are safe, yes there are warnings on them not to use on a sleeping child but most mums think it will break (before strangling) and I know many mums are using them 24/7,” she said.
It is difficult to find a toddler these days who isn’t wearing an amber necklace.
The purported science behind them is said to be ancient with claims they have healing and anti-inflammatory properties.
They are even said to relieve eczema, speed up wound healing and stave off ear and throat inflammation.
All for a price tag ranging from $25 to $60.
But what many parents miss is the very large choking warnings that come with the decorative necklaces.
The fact is these necklaces have the potential to kill your child.
The Australian Competition and Consumer Association issued a warning about the necklaces in 2011 saying they were a choking hazard.
While sellers of the necklaces claim that they are safe because the string is knotted between each individual bead Dr. Isabelle Claudet, head of the pediatric emergency department at Children’s Hospital in Toulouse, France told The NY Times that this is irrelevant because even one bead is enough to choke a baby.