It’s Friday and you made it. It’s (almost) Christmas and you’ve (almost) made it there as well.
It’s been a big week. Lots has been happening in the world and we understand that you might not quite be up to date if you’ve not had time to log onto Mamamia daily. That’s okay, we’ll forgive you. Just this once.
But as it is the season of giving and we’re generous souls here at Mamamia, we also don’t want you to be that awkward silent person at the Christmas dinner table who has nothing to add to the conversation.
So here’s what has been happening in the news and on the site:
1. Gun control. After 20-year-old Adam Lanza entered a US primary school and shot and killed 26 people – including 20 children – the pressure on President Obama to make a stand on the right to bear arms has never been greater.
2. In the wake of the Newtown tragedy, a blog post called ‘I am Adam Lanza’s mother‘ went viral. The post was by an American woman named Liza Long who has a mentally ill son. In the post she wrote: “It’s easy to talk about guns. But it’s time to talk about mental illness.”
3. A magazine revealed the ‘secret’ father of radio host Fifi Box’s baby as 49-year-old former iron man Grant Kenny. On the same day, Grant’s former wife Lisa Curry sent a series of cryptic tweets about life and surprises.Advertisement
4. Koko, the star of the hit Australian movie Red Dog, died at the age of seven. After the news of his death, a Perth Dog home where he was an unofficial ambassador was inundated with donations.
5. In 2006, when health minister, Tony Abbott voted in Parliament to maintain his veto power over abortion drug RU486. This week on Mamamia, Health Minister Tanya Plibersek wrote: “If Mr Abbott has changed his view on abortion and RU486, he should tell people.”
6. A UK judge has ordered that a seven-year-old boy with brain cancer have life-saving surgery, despite protests from his mother who wants to pursue ‘alternative therapies’ (like oxygen therapies) for her son.
8. Something worth writing down on the nearest napkin: Bottomless is the new topless. Topless? So last decade.
10. The parenting skills of Tony Hawk, aka the world’s best skateboarder, came under fire when he posted a series of pictures of himself and his 4-year-old daughter Kadence – skateboarding in a concrete bowl without helmets.