1. Ariel Castro has been confirmed by DNA tests as the father of Amanda Berry’s six-year old daughter. You can read more Mamamia’s coverage of the shocking case involving Amanda Berry, Gina DeJesus and Michele Knight here.
2. The Prime Minister has announced a new Manus refugee centre. The new permanent processing centre will begin construction in Papua New Guinea in July.
3. The search for a couple who allegedly jumped from a cruise ship – paramedic Paul Rossington, 30, and girlfriend Kristen Schroder, 27 – has been called off after 48 hours. It is believed Rossington jumped overboard to save Schroder after she fell into the water.
4. Disability Reform Minister Jenny Macklin has stated that the national disability insurance scheme will cover “most” people with autism, reports Fairfax.
5. A woman who was buried in the rubble of the collapsed garment factory in Bangladesh, has been rescued after 17 days. She had some dried food and water nearby when the building collapsed, and attracted the attention of rescuers by hitting the walls with sticks.
6. Health Minister Tanya Plibersek has said a “rigorous” national policy is necessary, that will identify unvaccinated children when they start school. Currently the NSW, ACT, WA, Victoria and Tasmania have legislation requiring that children be vaccinated before school, but News Ltd reports that this is not usually enforced.