1. The family of Nelson Mandela are praying for a “peaceful and perfect end.” They are gathered at the hospital where the former South African President is on life support. Current South African President Jacob Zuma has reportedly cancelled a trip to Mozambique in the wake of the news.
2. Kevin Rudd has defeated Julia Gillard in a ballot for leadership of the Labor Party, 57 votes to 45. At 9.30am this morning Rudd will be sworn in by the Governor General Quentin Bryce, along with his new Deputy Anthony Albanese. You can read Mamamia’s rolling coverage of last night’s political events here.
3. In the State of Origin last night, Queensland defeated New South Wales 26-6.
4. Gay rights activists are celebrating after the U.S. Supreme Court struck down the Defence of Marriage Act to allow same-sex couples to receive federal marriage benefits. In his judgment, Justice Anthony Kennedy described the legislation as a violation of the Fifth Amendment, which restricts the Government from abusing their authority in relation to legal procedures.
5. A man in the Ohio city of Colombus is reportedly recovering in hospital after trying to ripping off part of his penis while high on magic mushrooms. The man was apparently still hallucinating when he was found by police naked and covered in blood. Police said that the 41-year-old was close to death and had no history of mental health problems.