The 30 most popular books of all time have been released. And it’s an interesting mix.
Uk Website LoveReading took on the massive task of sorting through the world’s 129,864,800 books.
Researchers determined how many book copies, translations and editions had been sold since the 8th century BC. No suprises then, that the book that comes in at number one is the Holy Koran. It has been translated into 50 languages, has 398 editions and more than 3 billion copies have been printed.
Second on the list is The King James Bible. It's been printed over 2.5 billion times and translated into 66 languages.
Other mentions go to the Harry Potter series at number 5, which has been sold 450 million times and Alice in Wonderland, number 9, which has been sold 100 million times.
Take a look at what books ranked as the greatest of all time here:
1. The Koran – three billion copies printed
2. The King James Bible – 2.5bn copies printed
3. Quotations from Chairman Mao Tse-tung, Mao Zedong – 800 million copies sold
4. Don Quixote, Miguel de Cervantes – 500 million copies sold
5. Harry Potter series, JK Rowling – 450 million copies sold
6. A Tale of Two Cities, Charles Dickens – 200 million copies sold
7. The Lord of the Rings, JRR Tolkien – 150 million copies sold
8. Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry – 140 million copies sold
9. Alice in Wonderland, Lewis Carroll – 100 million copies sold
10. Dream of the Red Chamber, Cao Xueqin – 100 million copies sold
11. And Then There Were None, Agatha Christie – 100 million copies sold