Lauren Edgar was 28 when she booked herself in for liposuction surgery. She died five days later.
Now an inquest into her death has heard she likely died from a rare, one-in-a-million infection called gas gangrene. The ABC reported:
Dr Phillip Griffin, a senior plastic and reconstructive surgeon at Flinders Medical Centre in Adelaide, told the inquest that he thinks the most likely cause of Ms Edgar’s infection was germs from the skin surface entering the wounds.
“It remains my opinion that the organisms did enter during the time of the liposuction, probably entering through the left thigh,” he told the inquest,” he said.
“It is very difficult for most doctors to diagnose, a patient can become very unwell very quickly and until that occurs it might be very difficult to diagnose gas gangrene at all until the classical signs emerge.”
1. Bob Katter (yes, him) wants to give $7000 to Australian families for each child they have to ‘keep the Australian race alive’. Immigration won’t cut it, he says, because, well, they’re immigrants. He wants Aussies breeding Aussies or we’ll die out.
2. Are you my friend? An American woman is attempting to photograph everyone of her 625 Facebook friends in their own homes – in the US and abroad – to prove they’re more than just clicks on a social networking site. Cool. She’s almost a third of the way there!
3. Is there anything Hillary does these days that doesn’t make her the focus of the world’s love? She had her photo taken … get this … without her make-up on (allegedly). And wearing glasses! OMG how crazy. When asked, she said this: “I feel so relieved to be at the stage I’m at in my life right now. Because you know if I want to wear my glasses I’m wearing my glasses. If I want to wear my hair back I’m pulling my hair back. You know at some point it’s just not something that deserves a lot of time and attention. And if others want to worry about it, I let them do the worrying for a change.” Take a look (and there’s some other big names without face paint here too).
4. Yes he does. US President Barack Obama confirmed for the first time ever that he supports same sex marriage … six months out from a tough election when his poll numbers are looking terrible, particularly in socially conservative states. North Carolina became the 30th state to outlaw same sex marriage. Obama said the First Lady ‘feels the same way I do’.
5. Hands off. The US state of Tennessee had passed the ‘Gateway Sexual Activity Bill’ which outlaws any school children in the state holding hands. Yes, you can tell by the name of the bill that hand-holding is a gateway to much, much worse crimes…