Netflix is taking House of Cards in a whole different direction, without Kevin Spacey.

Video via Netflix

 

House of Cards will continue without Kevin Spacey.

Netflix has reached an agreement to continue production on the show’s sixth and final season in early 2018.

Ted Sarandos, the streaming service’s chief content officer, said season six will be eight episodes long and it will star Robin Wright as the lead.

LISTEN: We need to talk about Kevin Spacey. Post continues after audio…

Production on the series was suspended in October following sexual assault allegations against Spacey. Actor Anthony Rapp accused Spacey of making sexual advances towards him when he was just 14 years old.

Since then numerous men have come forward with similar stories.

Advertisement

Spacey was immediately fired from the show and won’t be returning to play the role of despotic former president Frank Underwood.

The show will instead focus on Wright’s character of President Claire Underwood, who stole the presidency out from under her husband’s nose in the last season.

It’s been rumoured that Netflix is considering killing off Spacey’s character so the show can continue on without him.

“We were really excited we could get to an agreement… for the conclusion of the show,” Sarandos said on Monday at UBS’s Global Media and Communications Conference in New York.

House of Cards is produced by Media Rights Capital (MRC) and it’s filmed in Baltimore.

LISTEN: Veronica Mars is the smartest teen show around and all the TV you need to be watching this week. Post continues after audio…

Sarandos said he was happy to have reached an agreement for the 370 people who work directly on the show and the further 2000 people of Baltimore who contribute to the show’s production.

Spacey has also been removed from his supporting role in Ridley Scott’s new movie, All the Money in the World.

Netflix has not yet announced when season six will be released.

MORE FROM the binge

JOIN THE CONVERSATION

More articles