A few months ago, news spread like wildfire that Blue Ribbon had decided to make Golden Gaytime’s into an ice cream tub version. The world was hysterical, particularly when the news turned out to be true.
I’ve been trying to pick up one of these mystical tubs at my local Woolworths ever since and they’re ALWAYS sold out. But I can imagine how amazing it tastes.
Which is why when a recipe surfaced on the internet that proved it was possible to make a Golden Gaytime cake – I lost it. This year was definitely shaping up to be a winner. Tinman’s Treats has provided us with the recipe to mould the perfect
breakfast after-dinner treat the whole family will enjoy.
Yes, there are several parts/layers/elements to this dish, but like every Masterchef episode you've drooled over, it'll be worth it in the end.
Part 1: Butter cake
- 1 1/2 cups self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 150g salted butter, chopped and softened
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs (room temp)
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 2/3 cup milk (or buttermilk)
1. Preheat oven to 150 degrees.
2. Grease the cake tin.
3. Combine self raising flour and plain flour in a bowl.
4. Beat the butter, sugar and vanilla together in a large bowl with electric mixer on low speed.
5. Increase speed to medium once the sugar is incorporated. Beat the mixture until it is pale and creamy (about five minutes).
6. Add the first egg to the butter mixture and beat on medium speed for about one minute. Repeat with the second egg, then third egg.
7. Add the sour cream and beat until just combined (about 10 seconds).