Chris Dawson has been charged with the murder of Lyn Dawson.

The husband of Sydney mother Lynette Dawson, who disappeared almost 40 years ago, has been charged with her murder.

Chris Dawson, a one-time rugby league player, arrived in Sydney on Thursday morning after being extradited from Queensland.

He touched down about 9.30am on a Qantas flight from the Gold Coast, where he had spent the night in a watch-house.

Dressed in a t-shirt, shorts and thongs, the 70-year-old was led off the plane by detectives and driven from the tarmac straight to Sydney Police Centre in Surry Hills, where he was charged.

He was refused bail to appear at Central Local Court on Thursday afternoon.

Fresh statements from at least two witnesses led to Dawson’s arrest on the Gold Coast on Wednesday following the disappearance of his wife.

The new evidence helped police “tie pieces of the puzzle together”, NSW Police Commissioner Mick Fuller said.

Some of the additional material surfaced as a result of The Australian newspaper’s investigative podcast, The Teacher’s Pet.

You can get Mia Freedman’s interview with The Teacher’s Pet creator Hedly Thomas below. Post continues after audio.

Ms Dawson was 33 when she went missing in January 1982 leaving behind two young daughters.

Detectives from the NSW homicide squad began reinvestigating her suspected murder in 2015 and sent a brief of evidence to the Director of Public Prosecutions in April this year.

Dawson, a Newtown rugby league player in the early 1970s, has long been a suspect in the case but denies any involvement in his wife’s disappearance.

Despite the fact Ms Dawson’s body has not been found, investigators are confident of the strength of their case.

“There are other examples in policing history, and history of the courts, where people have been convicted of murder without a body,” NSW Detective Superintendent Scott Cook told reporters on Wednesday.


Ms Dawson’s relatives expressed relief following the arrest, while Chris Dawson’s family said they had no doubt he would be found innocent.

Detectives in September dug up the backyard at the Bayview home the couple shared in the early 1980s but did not find her remains or items of interest.

Mr Fuller declared “we certainly won’t give up on that search” for Ms Dawson’s remains.

Dawson was arrested in Queensland on Wednesday morningThe Australian reported Dawson had been arrested and will be charged.

Lynette disappeared in early January 1982, when she was 33 years old.

At the time, her husband insisted she had left on her own accord, to join a “religious group” on the north coast.

But 36 years later, no one has seen or heard from Lynette, including her two daughters Shanelle and Sherryn. It has also emerged that Chris was not the gorgeous, doting husband he might have appeared to be from the outside. Many people who knew the Dawsons were aware that Chris was, in fact, engaged in a secret sexual relationship with one of his students, Joanne Curtis.

As a physical education teacher at Cromer High, Chris Dawson was involved in a number of sexual activities with 16 and 17-year-old students. Sometimes, these encounters also included Chris’ twin brother Paul.

In 1980, when Joanne was just 16, Chris initiated a love affair with her. She started babysitting for his family, and in 1981, under the guise of trying to ‘help’ Joanne escape her tough home life, Chris moved Joanne into the family home.

Friends and family of Lynette believe Chris murdered his wife so he could be with Joanne.

In 2001 and 2003, two separate coronial inquests concluded Lynette was murdered by her husband, but Chris Dawson has never been charged for the crime.

But today, it appears he will be.

More to come.

With AAP.

00:00 / ???