news

News in 5: AFL star killed in horror crash; Bronte's Games success; Pistorius out of options.

1. Rising AFL star in South Australia dies in tragic car crash just hours after securing victory for her team.

Tributes are flowing in for rising AFL star Ellen Maple, 22, from South Australia who was killed in a horror car crash on Sunday night, after news of her death was made public yesterday evening.

WATCH: AFL footy teams are mourning the loss of a premiership player, from Seven News.

Hours before her death, Maple, described by Sturt Football Club as a “determined, skilful midfielder”, helped secure her team a victory against Glenelg in the South Australian National Football League (SANFL) women’s competition.

She’d collected 19 disposals in the one match.

“One of the competition’s leading possession players, Ellen was named in our best players in seven of her eight games this season,” the club said in a statement reacting to news of her death.

According to Nine News, Maple died when her car smashed into a pole in the Adelaide suburb of Glengowrie at around 10pm on Sunday night.

Ellen Maple. Image via Sturt Football Club.
Ellen Maple. Image via Sturt Football Club.
ADVERTISEMENT

The collision was so severe, it reportedly brought down power lines. And, though residents of the street were brave enough to pull Maple from the vehicle and attempt to revive her, their efforts and those of paramedics were unsuccessful.

Police are trying to determine how the crash happened, Daily Mail reports. With witness Rhiannon Corfield telling Seven News she "cried for ages" after the accident. "That poor family," she added.

Maple and her twin sister Tess moved to play for Sturt at the beginning of the league's inaugural 2017/18 season. Before this, Tess played for Mt Lofty Football Club in Heathfield.

"Obviously just shattered and devastated. It's a very new playing group, a lot of young girls there, so everyone's just devastated," Sturt football manager Chris Trapp told Nine News.

"She'll certainly leave a huge hole, she was very much loved amongst the group and the club and she'll be greatly missed."

2. Bronte Campbell brings it home in the 4 x 100m medley relay, after being chosen over her sister at the last minute.

The team celebrate victory in the Women's 4 x 100m Medley Relay Final on day six of the Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games. Image via Getty.

It was a difficult decision for Australian swim coach Jacco Verhaeren, choosing between the Campbell sisters to fill the 4x100m medley relay team for last night's Commonwealth Games final.

Sisters Bronte and Cate didn't have any say in the matter, News Corp reports, and both were worthy contenders for the final freestyle leg of the medley.

"There’s no doubt they both deserve it, but we need to make a call for what’s best for the team," Verhaeren told News Corp before announcing his decision last night ahead of the event.

ADVERTISEMENT

Bronte was chosen and she smashed it.

"Fantastic swim by Bronte 51.57 (seconds) is an incredibly fast relay swim,” Aussie swimming legend Ian Thorpe said, News Corp reports.

"One of the fastest relay swims in history from anyone. Right decision was made today by head coach Jacco Verhaeren. We got the victory."

It was a stellar performance by the entire team, which included Emily Seebohm, Georgia Bohl and Emma McKeon.

Between them, they secured Australia's 27th swimming gold.

As well as this in the pool last night, Ariarne Titmus collected her third gold medal, Mitch Larkin his fifth and Australia its 50th as the swimmers and the country have overwhelmed allcomers at the Commonwealth Games.

With five days of competition still to come, Australia has already surpassed its tally of 49 gold medals from Glasgow four years ago.

The swimmers have made the most of a home pool, accounting for 28 of Australia's gold, including seven medal cleansweeps.

Together with cycling's 12 gold so far, the two sports make up 80 per cent of the team's total haul which has it well clear on top of the medal table from England on 24.

3. Donald Trump is furious after his personal lawyer's offices were raided by FBI. (Yes, the same lawyer who paid Stormy Daniels to keep quiet about their alleged affair).

Donald Trump
Image via Getty.

President Donald Trump has lashed out against special counsel Robert Mueller's Russia investigation, branding it "an attack on our country" and exhibiting mounting concern about the year-long probe after federal authorities raided the offices of his personal lawyer Michael Cohen, AAP reports.

Caught off guard and furious with the inquiry, the president showed a flare of temper watching cable news coverage of the raid on Monday afternoon, summoning lawyers Ty Cobb and Jay Sekulow to get their opinion of what was happening.

Aides and outside allies described Trump as shaken and increasingly frustrated by the development, and they said his reaction had sparked discussion about whether the raid would usher an unpredictable new phase in how the president responds to the probe.

Trump vented from the Oval Office that Mueller's investigators were "going too far" and conducting "their witch hunt" to undermine his presidency, according to three people familiar with the president's views but not allowed to discuss them publicly.

Minutes later he publicly unleashed his sharpest invective to date against the sweeping investigation, calling the Monday search "a disgrace."

"It's an attack on our country in a true sense," he said in the Cabinet Room, flanked by the nation's top military brass, who watched the scene stone-faced.

"It's an attack on what we all stand for."

Trump let loose after federal agents pierced the protective bubble around him, seizing records from the offices of Cohen, on topics including a $US130,000 ($A169,000) payment made to a porn actress who says she had sex with Trump more than a decade ago.

Cohen claims to have used a personal home equity loan to pay the adult film actress, known as Stormy Daniels.

The president didn't bat away the idea of firing Mueller, saying people have advised him to take that action: "Why don't I just fire Mueller? Well, I think it's a disgrace what's going on - we'll see what happens."

4. A former beauty queen who now works with the disabled has announced she is running for Melbourne Lord Mayor.

Nathalie Nicole O'Sughrue
Nathalie Nicole O'Sughrue is a former beauty queen who is now running for Melbourne Lord Mayor. Image via Facebook.

A beauty queen has thrown her tiara in the ring to be one of 14 confirmed nominees in Melbourne's upcoming lord mayoral by-election, AAP reports.

Nathalie Nicole O'Sughrue is among the colourful array of personalities - including millionaires, political party members, an artist, psychologist and a broadcaster - putting their hands up for the $193,000-a-year job.

"Just because I once walked on the stage in a ball gown doesn't mean I don't have anything to contribute," Ms O'Sughrue, who works in disability services after being involved in multiple beauty pageant contests, told AAP.

She is particularly passionate about tackling homelessness in the city.

"Part of the reason why I decided to get into local council, eventually maybe politics... is because I'm all about creating change," Ms O'Sughrue said.

"It's about working with the providers that we have in the City of Melbourne... in terms of accommodation, housing."

Ms O'Sughrue is a sexual assault survivor but says the harassment scandal around former mayor Robert Doyle did not influence her decision to run.

Ballot papers for the mayoral by-election will be sent out to more than 144,000 people from April 23, with voting to close on May 11. The poll is compulsory for those aged under 70.

5. Abbott asks Turnbull to "explain why it doesn't apply now" after Newspoll loss - the same loss that saw him kicked out of the job in 2015.

Tony Abott
Tony Abott. Image via Getty.

Tony Abbott believes Malcolm Turnbull should explain why his 30th Newspoll loss is not the same as the test he used to depose the former prime minster, AAP reports.

As Mr Turnbull racked up the same milestone on Monday, the now-backbencher again urged the government to champion low power prices by keeping coal, and higher wages by cutting immigration.

"That's what I think we need to focus on today, being the best possible government with the strongest possible policies," Mr Abbott told reporters on his annual Pollie Pedal in Victoria.

Asked whether he feels vindicated by Mr Turnbull's result, Mr Abbott said, "It's not about me, it's got to be about our country".

But he later argued it was Mr Turnbull who set the test of consecutive Newspoll losses.

He, on the other hand, "thought the important thing was winning elections".

"It's really, I suppose, something for Malcolm to explain why it applied to me, but shouldn't apply now," he told 2GB radio.

Mr Abbott acknowledged being in government was hard.

"Malcolm Turnbull and I know this better than anyone," he said.

The Newspoll showed the government is behind Labor on a two-party preferred basis at 48 per cent to 52 per cent, under Mr Turnbull's leadership.

Mr Abbott said the best way to be a good government was to have clear policies, a united team and to be distinct from your opponents.

"That's what I tried to be and to do in government and I'm sure that's what the prime minister is trying to be and to do now."

He said backbenchers have a duty to speak their minds as he called for greater "honesty" in politics.

"One of the differences between me and some of my colleagues is that if I've got something to say, I don't ring up a journalist and whisper poison into their ears I say it up front, openly, and put my name on it," he said.

"I think that is something that we need to see more of in our politics. We need to see honesty, we need to see integrity and we need to see people say what they mean and do what they say."

6. Oscar Pistorius has finally run out of options to appeal his 13-year prison sentence for the murder of Reeva Steenkamp.

Oscar Pistorius and Reeva Steenkamp
Oscar Pistorius and Reeva Steenkamp. Image via Getty.

Legal experts say Olympian Oscar Pistorius has finally run out of options to appeal his 13-year prison sentence for the murder of Reeva Steenkamp.

South Africa's highest court dismissed Pistorius' request to review the sentence on Monday, bringing a close to a five-year legal saga surrounding the man who was once one of the world's most celebrated athletes.

"There is nothing they can do," said Pierre de Vos, a constitutional law expert at the University of Cape Town.

Last year, the Supreme Court of Appeal more than doubled Pistorius' six-year sentence for the murder of Steenkamp, a 29-year-old model, who he shot four times through a locked bathroom door in his home on Valentine's Day in 2013.

The minimum sentence for murder in South Africa is 15 years, and the court called the initial six-year sentence "shockingly lenient."

The double-amputee runner, who is 31, claims he mistook his girlfriend for an intruder.

Pistorius was originally convicted of manslaughter, but that was overturned and replaced with a murder conviction by the Supreme Court. He has also tried and failed to appeal his murder conviction in the Constitutional Court.

"Oscar Pistorius has exhausted his legal avenues in terms of the criminal process," said Luvuyo Mfaku, a spokesman for the National Prosecuting Authority.

Pistorius must serve at least half of his 13-year sentence before he can be considered for parole.

FROM OUR NETWORK
00:00 / ???