1. Mother screams for help as her baby twins are attacked with a hammer, killing son.
— Daily Mirror (@DailyMirror) March 19, 2017
The first picture of a twin baby boy killed in a brutal attack in London been released.
One-year-old Gabriel and his twin sister Maria were brutally attacked with a hammer late on Saturday night in London’s Hackney. They were rushed to hospital, but Gabriel died just before 1am on Sunday morning, The Mirror reports.
Maria is still recovering in hospital, with critical injuries.
After a 20 hour manhunt, 33-year-old Bidhya Sagar Das was been arrested on suspicion of the murder of Gabriel, and attempted murder of his twin sister. It is believed Das is the father of the two children.
The twins’ mother, Cristinela Datcu, is believed to have been in the shower, or locked in the bathroom, when her children were attacked.
When she discovered their injuries, she ran screaming into the street for help, shouting, “My kids, my kids”.
“The man’s girlfriend, had been in the shower or locked in the bathroom. While she was in there the little boy was attacked with a hammer to the head,” neighbour Mihai Manea told The Sun.
“The little girl was struck too. My friend cradled the little boy as he died.”
“This is clearly a tragic incident, and our thoughts are with the family of the two young children. Despite the best efforts of medical professionals a baby boy sadly died in the early hours of this morning,” Detective Chief Inspector Dave Whellams, of the Homicide and Major Crime Command told reporters.
“A baby girl currently remains in a critical condition and is receiving specialist medical care.
“Whilst we remain in the early stages of the investigation, a man has now been arrested. I would still like to hear from anyone who may have any information regarding this terrible incident.”
2. Sydney private schoolboy accused of raping a 15-year-old girl while his friend filmed.
— 7 News Sydney (@7NewsSydney) March 20, 2017
A teenage boy from an elite private school in Sydney is accused of raping a 15-year-old girl while his friend filmed the alleged assault on his mobile phone.
The Daily Telegraph reports the girl did not know she had been assaulted until the footage emerged on social media days later. The incident is believed to have taken place at a house party on March 4.
Teachers from The Cranbrook School are understood to have alerted police when the footage was shared among at least 50 teenagers.
A 15-year-old boy has pleaded not guilty to charges of filming a young person committing a sexual act on another young person without their consent, producing child abuse material on his mobile phone and distributing that material on social media.
The boy was told not to “approach, threaten, stalk, harass or intimidate the alleged victim or damage any of her property” by Magistrate Jeffrey Hogg at The Children’s Court in Glebe.
The girl’s alleged attacker is no longer a student of The Cranbrook School as of Friday. He is due to meet with detectives to discuss the assault today.
3. FBI head says there is ‘no evidence’ of wire tapping of Trump by Obama administration.
— USA TODAY (@USATODAY) March 20, 2017
FBI Director James Comey says neither the Department of Justice nor his own agency have evidence to support a claim by US President Donald Trump that his Trump Tower headquarters had been wiretapped during the 2016 election campaign.
“With respect to the president’s tweets about alleged wiretapping directed at him by the prior administration, I have no information that supports those tweets,” Comey told a congressional hearing on Monday, AAP reports.
“And we have looked carefully inside the FBI. The Department of Justice has asked me to share with you that the answer is the same for the Department of Justice and all its components: the department has no information that supports those tweets.”
Trump created a controversy in early March when he tweeted without giving evidence that former President Barack Obama’s administration had wiretapped Trump Tower in New York.
Comey confirmed the agency was investigating possible Russian government efforts to interfere in the 2016 US election, including any links between Trump’s campaign and Moscow.
The probe “includes investigating the nature of any links between individuals associated with the Trump campaign and the Russian government and whether there was any coordination between the campaign and Russia’s efforts.
“Because it is an open, ongoing investigation and is classified, I cannot say more about what we are doing and whose conduct we are examining,” Comey said.
US intelligence agencies have concluded that Russia tried to help Trump by hacking leading Democrats’ emails.
Russia denies it attempted to influence the November 8 presidential election by hacking Democratic operatives and releasing embarrassing information.
4. Woman claims her boss ‘made’ her resign when she became pregnant with second child.
— The West Australian (@westaustralian) March 19, 2017
A gourmet food distribution business in Perth has been accused of discriminating against an employee by telling her to quit after she became pregnant with her second child.
The Fair Work Ombudsman is alleging Austrend International, trading as Austrend Foods, as well as company director and part-owner Denzil Godfrey Rao, asked 27-year-old sales executive Diana Lindsey Aragon to sign a “pre-prepared resignation letter” last year, The West Australian reports.
The Fair Work Ombudson heard the company took unwarranted performance management action against Aragon when she fell pregnant, denied her the right to return to work after taking parental leave and then asked her to resign when she fell pregnant with her second child.
Mr Rao could face fines of up to $10,800 for each contravention of workplace laws, and the company faces penalties of up to $54,000 per contravention.
A Federal Court hearing is due to start in Perth today.
5. Man charged with murder of gangland figure after he was arrested at Sydney airport.
— 7 News Sydney (@7NewsSydney) March 20, 2017
A man will appear in court after being arrested at Sydney airport over a gangland shooting death at a southwest Sydney panel beater last year, AAP reports.
The 34-year-old was picked up by NSW homicide squad detectives on Monday night after arriving from an international flight.
Early on Tuesday morning police said they had charged the man and he was due to appear in Waverley Local Court later in the day.
Media reports have named him as Mahmoud Ahmad, the brother of slain gangland figure Walid Ahmad.
He was arrested in relation to the murder of Safwan Charbaji, 32, who was fatally wounded outside a Condell Park smash repair business in April 2016.
That was linked to the murder of the older Ahmad, 40, who was killed in a spray of bullets on the rooftop car park of Bankstown Central shopping centre weeks later.
6. The UK has announced the date it will officially begin ‘divorcing’ the EU.
UK PM Theresa May is to trigger Article 50 on Wednesday 29 March, formally starting the Brexit process https://t.co/dEgEoIylrJ
— BBC Breaking News (@BBCBreaking) March 20, 2017
Prime Minister Theresa May will trigger Britain’s divorce proceedings with the European Union on March 29, launching two years of negotiations that will reshape the future of the country and Europe.
On Monday, May’s government said her permanent envoy to the EU had informed European Council President Donald Tusk of the date when Britain intends to invoke Article 50 of its Lisbon Treaty – the mechanism for starting its exit after a referendum last June in which Britons voted by a 52-48 per cent margin to leave the bloc.
The EU said it was ready to begin the negotiations and within 48 hours of the trigger on March 29, Tusk will send the other 27 member states his draft negotiating guidelines, which means that talks could start in May.
May hopes to negotiate terms that keep trade, financial and political relations with EU member states as close as possible after Brexit, but also satisfy eurosceptics in her Conservative Party who demand a complete break.
Talks on departing the prosperous club Britain joined in 1973 are likely to be the most complex London has held since World War Two.
With nationalism and anti-establishment, anti-immigrant sentiment spreading across Western Europe, the EU leadership in Brussels is anxious to avoid encouraging others in the 28-member bloc to bolt.
Do you have a story to share with Mamamia? Email us [email protected]