Now that the American dollar and Australian dollar are almost equal, it’s time to go sale shopping. Visit cult New York stores like Kate Spade or Bond No.9 without standing in line – or try Bloomingdales without the escalators.
This legendary New York department store offers Australians free shipping for orders over $200. Marc Jacobs accessories start under $40. At www.usunlocked.com – click on Department Stores for Barneys.
This cult New York perfume house has a $3722.95 price tag on one item in the range. But you can also buy sweet little travel-friendly samples for $9 (try Eau de Noho or Eau de New York). Australian outlet shipping is available here.
There are plenty of winter and summer Marc Jacobs shoes to buy online now from AUD$175 with $9.99 shipping and a hassle-free return promise for Australian customers. Go to www.shopnewyork.com.au
SAKS FIFTH AVENUE
You don’t have to be on Fifth to shop Saks. There are some incredible bargains for international buyers now, like…A Diane von Furstenberg pleated silk dress around $100, down from over $400. Or Acqua di Parma shower gel around $50. And Bond No.9 perfume tokens around $30 which are exclusive to Saks. (Very retro, very sweet, very New York).
You can shop in 41 currencies and the shipping price is US$32 flat rate on orders of US$99 and more.
At www.usunlocked.com – click on Department Stores for Saks.
Manolo Blahnik sandals around US$300 are well under half-price at the Barneys online sale. Marc Jacobs wedges are US$139. Seriously pretty, keep-forever Yves St Laurent espadrilles are US$319 under half price. C’est incredible! At www.usunlocked.com – click on Department Stores for Barneys. Tip: their own Barneys Co-op brand shoes are beautiful and bargainista. This is one own-brand that is worth buying.
IN NEW YORK? LUCKY!
If you’re in New York through January then you’re already on top of the sale thing. Undoubtedly. But don’t miss this chance to use your hotel or rental studio address, to organise American shipping – frequently free. And a lot easier than standing in the cold waiting for the doors to open at 9am!
Have Kate Spade mailed free to your American address and save hugely.
Best Kate Spade bargains right now …
- Blackberry pouch in pink or yellow $16
- I Need A Vacation ski hat $51 from $85
- Coin purses and credit-card holders under $50
- Before you check out online: regular priced items are also cheap but chic. Throw them into the box – Kate Spade red lipstick with ‘pucker up’ engraved on the case ($24) – great birthday presents for 2012.
- Another good reason to shop the Kate Spade sales? Their business partnership with women in war-torn regions like Bosnia and Afghanistan. (Women for Women International). Read more on their site.
AND FINALLY…The January Sales Rules (Global)
All over the world, the rules of the January sales are always the same. Every damn year.
1. The only tights left under $20 will always be those which make your legs look fat (big patterns, broad stripes) or just strangely diseased (cheap leopardskin print).
2. The cheapest designer shoes will always be suede, which means a further $40 on suede cleaner and protecter at the till.
3. Those piles of novelty Christmas-themed animal accessories and food will always be marked down 75% on the last day of the sale. So tell the dog to wait for his Santa-embossed bone.
4. Ideas the designer thought of when drunk at last year’s Paris collections will never, ever sell. Not even at $5 for two. Well, would you buy a bikini embroidered with Twitter fail whales?
5. White jeans, white skirts, white dresses – white do they bother? Nobody wants them. Just don’t make them in the first place, okay?
6. Garments patterned with chunky, broad, horizontal stripes which make women look like overweight bumblebees will always be left, lonely and afraid, hanging on the hook in the changeroom.
7. Any truly desirable sale garment (the Marc Jacobs classic trench, the good Prada work skirt) will only be available in size 0, size 0 and size 0.
8. You will go to the sales for a handbag, be unable to find one you like, then see your dream bag at usual retail price. You will buy the dream bag.
9. The woman (or man) with the hairiest armpits and least amount of deodorant will always be next to you in the communal changeroom. Often checking you out in the mirror.
10. You will spend all the money you saved in the store cafe, straight afterwards.
What’s the best bargain you’ve ever snapped up while on holidays?