We like to think we’re an intelligent bunch around the Mamamia offices. Most of us did well in school, went to university and now write for a living.
Many of the questions aimed at 8-11 year-olds had us absolutely stumped. Who the heck came up with these brainteasers?
So I took the questions to two of the smartest (and funniest) people I know, Holly Wainwright and Andrew Daddo, to see if they could do any better.
Holly and Andrew attempt year 3 and 5 Naplan questions on This Glorious Mess:
And guess what? They absolutely nailed the English questions. Big surprise. What else would you expect from professional writers?
But before we get to their, um, less than favourable maths results, see how you go with these easy peasy Year 3 and 5 Naplan English questions. (Answers at bottom of post, no peeking!)
I hope you know your adjectives from your adverbs…
3. Which sentence uses the word ‘they’re’ correctly?
- Dad told us they’re plenty of bananas to eat.
- The hens have been shut up in they’re shed for the night.
- When we reached the station, we found out that they’re no more trains today.
- When my sisters get home from school, they’re ready for a cold drink and snack.
Survived? Feeling smug? Well it’s about to get tougher in here.
I posed the maths questions to Holly and Andrew, and as they tried to figure out the answers to these simple maths questions, you could practically see the abacus sliding in their heads.
But when they heard the correct answer?
Their faces looked more like this:
Do you think you could do better? Try your hand at these maths questions… (answers at bottom of post, and no using that calculator on your phone!)
6. Micah has $5.55 in his pocket. His dad gives him $4.65. How much does Micah have now?
Listen to the full episode of This Glorious Mess here:
You can buy any book mentioned on our podcasts from iBooks at apple.co/mamamia, where you can also subscribe to all our other shows in one place.
1) deliberate 2) noun 3) When my sisters get home from school, they’re ready for a cold drink and snack. 4) Lee 5) 15 6) $10.20 7) 31 8) 4.20pm