1. Zooey Deschanel has finalised her divorce from Death Cab For Cutie frontman Ben Gibbard. The 32-year-old film and television actress and 36-year-old musician were married in September 2009. The court judgment did not provide financial details of the breakup but stated that the former couple’s marriage could not be repaired through counselling or mediation.
Flick through our gallery to see other celebrity couples who have recently announced their splits:
3. Hugh Jackman opens up about his wife’s miscarriages. The well-loved Australian actor and star of Les Miserables appeared on US talk show Katie to speak about his sixteen years of marriage to Deborra-Lee Furrness and, more specifically, the miscarriages she suffered before the couple adopted their children.
“Until you go through it, you understand it’s not talked about a lot,” Jackman told host Katie Couric. Jackman said that he and Furness, who met on an Australian TV show, had always planned to adopt but wanted to try for a biological child first.
‘We did IVF and Deb had a couple of miscarriages,” Jackman said. “I’ll never forget it, the miscarriage thing… It happens to one in three pregnancies. But it’s very, very rarely talked about. It’s almost secretive, so I hope Deb doesn’t mind me bringing it up now.”
“It’s a good thing to talk about it…There’s a grieving that you have to go through.”
5. Kate Middleton and Prince William have thrown a Christmas party for their staff. The pair hosted 27 members of staff for lunch – including members of the Household Cavalry, their press team and private secretaries – at the Bumpkin restaurant in London. Awesome. When was the last time you went to lunch with the cavalry?
Reports are that everyone dined at a private room at the restaurant, right beneath a portrait of the Queen and had the fixed-price Christmas Turkey menu – at 30 pounds (about $50 Australian) a head.
Flick through to see pictures of Kate Middleton heading out and about in recent weeks:
7. One of the most watched television series of recent years, Gossip Girl, is finally over. It’s the end of an era, with the schools kids having graduated and then progressed through university and have now become full members of the New York City (Upper East Side) elite. Complete with their own private jets, designer frocks, multi-million dollar companies and electoral prospects.
So how did it all wrap up? *SPOILER ALERT* We’ll tell you right after this fabulous gallery of the best ever fashion looks from the last six seasons of the richest, brattiest (but admittedly, best dressed) show on TV.
1 / 35
Lonely boy himself, little Dan Humphrey turned out to be the secret spreader of rumour: Gossip Girl.
Long time lovers (and fighters, and lovers, and fighters and lovers again) Blair Waldorf and Chuck Bass tied the knot.
A flash-forward-five-years scene showed Serena Van Der Woodsen and Dan Humphrey also getting married, Blair and Chuck having a baby, Lily Bass and William (Serena’s dad) getting together, and Jenny Humphrey becoming a successful fashion designer.
XOXO. Gossip Girl.
8. Hasbro has announced that it will be manufacturing a gender-neutral Easy-Bake Oven. The toy company recently met with a 13-year-old American girl, who started an online petition calling for the creation of an Easy-Bake Oven that appeals to all kids.
McKenna Pope started her petition after shopping for an Easy-Bake oven as a Christmas present for her brother, and finding only pink and purple versions. Hasbro has since been working on the new Easy-Bake, which is supposed to be black, silver and blue.
McKenna’s petition got 40,000 signatures and the support of international chefs. What a little legend.