1. The Australian film industry was on show last night at the second AACTA Awards.
AACTA is the artist formerly known as the AFIs or Australian Film Industry Awards but clearly someone thought AACTA was a far catchier acronym… The event was hosted by Russell Crowe and AACTA President Geoffrey Rush, who were joined on stage throughout the night by Australia’s best known film actresses Nicole Kidman and Cate Blanchett.
Cate Blanchett looked phenomenal (and remarkably like a superhero) in her blingy red gown and Jessica Mauboy’s ruby strapless dress was equally stunning. Maybe we’re being a bit ‘nanna’ here at Mamamia or maybe Australia Day got us in a patriotic mood but we thought everyone looked lovely.
Take a look at the photos:
As for the actual awards… Musical The Sapphires was the unrivalled star of the evening, scooping up six awards including Best Film, Best Lead Actor and Actress for Chris O’Dowd and Deborah Mailman, and Best Supporting Actress for Jessica Mauboy. This brought the film’s total number of awards to eleven, having received five during the AACTA Awards Luncheon on Monday. Overseas holiday drama Wish You Were Here picked up the remaining awards for Best Original Screenplay and Best Supporting Actor for Antony Starr.
In the television segment, Puberty Blues and Howzat! Kerry Packer’s War won Best Television Drama Series and Best Telefeature or Mini Series respectively, while the Best Lead Actor and Actress in a Television Drama went to Rake‘s Richard Roxborough and Redfern Now‘s Leah Purcell.
2. Beyonce adds a new image to her public “private” album. Today she’s a sexy referee. Oh yes she is. Check her out here.
3. Miranda Kerr has sold her Manhattan apartment: millionaire lifestyle and famous husband not included.
The 29-year-old supermodel has put her loft-style apartment on the market for $US1.345 million, and the sale is reportedly ‘under contract’.
Kerr bought the apartment in New York’s Flatiron district for $1,084,436 in 2006, and purchased a smaller apartment on the same floor for her 2-year-old son Flynn’s nanny. The building was designed and named after socialite and former model Jade Jagger, daughter of Mick.
Take a look at the interior and a whole lot of other celebrity real estate below:
4. OMG! Dolls that give birth. You have to see these to believe them (but not while there are kids in the room or even while you are at work).
5. Rihanna has confirmed that she is officially back together with Chris Brown.
“I decided it was more important for me to be happy,” Rihanna told the magazine. “I wasn’t going to let anybody’s opinion get in the way of that. Even if it’s a mistake, it’s my mistake.”
The couple made headlines worldwide in 2009, when Chris brutally assaulted Rihanna and a photo of her battered face was published online. Chris remains on probation after pleading guilty to assault and performing community service.
Rihanna insists that the relationship is “different” now and that the pair value one another and don’t have “those types of arguments” any more.
“He doesn’t have the luxury of f*cking up again. That’s just not an option … He made a mistake, and he’s paid his dues … sometimes people need support and encouragement, instead of ridicule and criticism and bashing,” she said.
6. Brandi Glanville (Housewives of Beverley Hills) might not have any good feelings for LeAnn Rimes, but she does have her to thank for one thing: A rejuvenated vagina. Yes you read that right. Read more here.
7. Australian actress Rebel Wilson has designed a line of t-shirts, ranging in size from “12 to beautimous”. Love.
The hilarious 26-year-old star of Bridesmaids has taken a moment out from her complete domination of Hollywood to dabble in a little design work.
“The shirts are just a little experiment – I had a dream I created them, and so I felt like I had to do it!!” Wilson tweeted.
The two t-shirt designs, were part of Wilson’s Fat Mandi collection, cost $20 each and feature cupcake and doughnut motifs across the bust. Delicious.
The shirts are available in sizes 12 to 18 (or size “beautimous”, in Rebel’s words).
And if you’re wondering, the shirts have a specific purpose: “They are excellent T’s for horizontal running or just bludging on the couch,” Wilson explained on Twitter.
Just because she’s so awesome, here’s a whole gallery dedicated to Rebel.
Rebel Wilson and Anne Hathaway
8. Megan Fox has hinted she might be leaving Hollywood. Is this the reason?